cнapтer тwo

"the wolf that resides in the shadows"

You reluctantly opened your eyes, fidgeting in your bed. Knowing the moment you got out of it, you'd have to start you day.

After a minute of pretending you had a choice, you got up. After showering, you pulled on your clothes before fixing your hair and putting on some light makeup. You put on your necklace, the center piece being a small, smooth black rock that almost looked broken.

You wrapped your black cloak around you, the small gold hook holding it in place before heading out the door. You made a stop at the local cafe at the bottom of the agency building for a cup of coffee before heading to work.

By the time you arrived, most of the members were already there. You said your greetings before beginning to head to your office. Before you could even think about stepping further, Yosano had already began pulling you towards the couch. Every one began gathering around you make you feel quite awkward. You were never one to enjoy being the center of attention. Partly due to the fact your old jobs required you not to be.

"So y/n, what's your ability? Atsushi asked.

In truth, no one except the president knew what your ability was. You had passed the test to get into the agency without ever having to use it. Everyone looked at you expectantly, curious themselves.

You looked up in thought for a minute, before deciding it would be entertaining to show them instead of outright tell them. "How about I show you instead."

Atsushi shook his head hurriedly in agreement while waiting patiently for you to demonstrate.  You stood up and walked behind the couch. You looked back at your audience as you took a step forward, a small smirk came across your face before you disappeared right in front of them. Almost as if you fell silently into a deep body of water. Everyone quickly got up to look behind the couch only to find nothing but the couch's shadow. As if no one had ever been over there at all.

"She's gone! That's so cool! City folk are truly amazing!" Kenji chimed, a sparkle in his eyes

Everyone was confused, still searching the couch as if to see if you were just hiding. Though, Ranpo sat unfazed, contently munching on yet another donut. 

"That's...really all to it."

Your voice broke the group's silent search for you. You stood, near the lamp on the other side of the room.

"My! My! What a neat trick, how did you get over there?" Yosano inquired with an excited tone.

"My ability is called "The Wolf that Resides in the Shadows." I can move freely through darkness, in most cases, shadows. Since it's the most common form of darkness especially in the daytime. Though the darkness must be big enough for my body to fit through. For instance, I couldn't fit my body through the shadow this cup makes, but a could fit my hand. Of course, my ability thrives at night, it makes for a good element of surprise you could say." You smiled. It's been quite a while since you'd explained you ability to anyone.

"wow! that's amazing!" Atsushi said, listening intently "But where do go? Are you just walking in the dark?"

"Actually no, you see walking through darkness isn't really the true nature of my ability. It's the ability I have to enter the space I call "The Dark Mirror". It's basically an exact copy of the real world, only black and white. It's a space all it's own where everything except people are duplicated." You sat down on the couch once again to finish you explanation. "When I move through darkness, I'm actually moving through dark mirror and then finding another point of entry."

You sat back, indicating you were finished with you explanation. Tons of questions came at you from everyone, making you chuckle at their innocent interest in your ability.

"I told you guys you wouldn't be able to guess her ability." Ranpo interrupted, now snacking on some candy "they were going on about it all morning."

The group chuckled dryly at Ranpo exposing their morning discussion. You decided to turn the attention back to Ranpo.

"Ah you must have known my ability from the start. I would expect nothing less from the world's greatest detective!" You said, turning towards Ranpo.

"Exactly right, y/n!" The dark-haired male stated simply before getting up to get more snacks.

The rest of the group went through and explained their abilities to you in return. Which you adamantly listened to.

⭐︎

The next couple days went by with you settling in and getting to know everyone a little more. You had definitely grown more comfortable and were starting to get used to the bustle of the day.

You were now going over some paperwork with Junichiro when the door dramatically flew open.

A loud sigh following.

"Kunikidaaa you sent me on that long mission on purpose didn't you! You just wanted to get rid of me! It was so tiring I don't feel like working for weeks." A loud pouty voice reached your ears

This must be the other member they were talking about.

You thought to your self. Deciding to finish the last sheet of work before introducing yourself to them. You kept your head down, studying the words on the papers

"Oh stop complaining you were fine, you completed it in half the time it was supposed to take anyway." Kunikida replied, almost sounding irritated. Ok, not almost...definitely irritated.

"I didn't even have time to try these new suicide plans I read..."

The voice trailed off entirely.

Your eyebrows furrowed at the sudden silence. It lasted so long that you finally lifted your head up.

The moment you did, your eyes widened. You sucked in a breath, absentmindedly forgetting to release it. There, standing just across the room was the one person you had least expected to see. Ever.

The same wide eyes blinked back at you. An unknown emotion shown through them before turning into an amused look. A low mutter of your name left their lips

"Y/n."

Your name, coming out so low barely anyone could hear it.

But you could.

You blinked back before responding in the same low tone

"Dazai."

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆