Chapter 37 "Home"

Whitemoon Palace had been breached.
       Mia looked from her window and could see looters and rioters below in a courtyard littered with Georgia's paintings. Portraits representing generations of Tearmoon royalty found their way onto bonfires. At least some of Georgia's flower pictures seemed to be escaping the flames—Mia saw several looters walking off with intact examples of her work. She took a strange comfort in knowing the fruits of Georgia's passion might survive. Of the portraits that had not yet burned, there was one large father-daughter painting, but it appeared that someone had directed their anger at the faces of the Emperor and the Princess— there were only holes where their heads had once been.
     The Emperor walked up to Mia and put his hand on his daughter's shoulder, "Mia, my child, it is time to go. There is nothing left for you to do here." He wiped a tear from his daughter's cheek.
    "There is a carriage waiting at the end of the south passage. Andre will take you there."
     "But father, what about you? When will you be joining me?"
     "I have some things to discuss with Prince Sion. I hear he is a wise man. I am sure he will listen."
     "Father..."
     "It is time for you to leave." He looked into his daughter's eyes, "You are a wonderful princess, a beautiful daughter, and the light of my life. I treasured every moment I ever spent with you."
     "Father, will I ever see you again?"
     "Well if you do, I promise to take you to dinners, dances, the theater, and maybe we will play some games again."
     Mia smiled through her tears, "I would like that. And will there be cake?"
     "With whipped cream and strawberries," The King laughed, "I love you, Mia."
     The Emperor issued his final command to his most trusted soldier, "Andre, take Mia to the passage."
     Then the King turned towards the Great Hall, his sword in his hand—there would be no discussions with Sunkland's Prince today.
As Andre dragged Mia to the south passage, Mia could hear her father's voice, "Prince Sion, you will not pass!" The sound of clashing swords could be heard echoing through the halls of Whitemoon Palace. Mia would reach the carriage...

*****

     "Mia, wake up! We're home!"
     Mia blinked her eyes and slowly lifted her head off Abel's shoulder. Mia looked across her way and suppressed a giggle when she saw two sleepy mini-Anne's, one resting her head on the Lady Anne's shoulder, the other on her lap. "Oh, Anne. Could you and the girls please help Abel unload the carriage? I have some urgent business that I must attend to!"
     "Of course!"
     Mia looked at her smiling Abel, who just nodded in approval. She gave him a quick peck on the cheek and then bolted out the carriage door. She was sprinting to the one person she knew would always be waiting whenever she returned from a journey.
     She found him walking down the Great Hall.
     "Papa!"
     With tears streaming down her cheeks, she gave her father a giant hug. The big man, who was never at a shortage of words for his daughter, was speechless, content to be hugged until she finally released him.
     She wiped her tears on her sleeve, "I've missed you so much," she then took her father's hand, "There are so many things I want to talk to you about."
     The two chatted away as they walked through the palace halls. But, Princess and Emperor grew silent once they passed through the grand archway of the Throne Room.
    Mia looked up in amazement, "Look at that!"
    Their new portrait was hanging above the Throne.
     "Yes, I think Georgia outdid herself this time! She almost caught all of your beauty," the King smiled, "and she almost managed to make me look handsome!"
     "Oh, you're handsome enough!" She gave her father a kiss on the cheek. "By the way, I think you owe me a slice of cake!"
     "With whipped cream and strawberries?"
     "Always!"

the end