Chapter 18: Finally Genin

As I was walking home, I noticed Gai and Kakashi sitting beside the water below. They must have finished a challenge, but it seemed like their conversation is important. I slid down the steep hill and walked over to them.

"Good evening," I called as I sat down beside Kakashi. "How are you guys missions going?"

"Good," Kakashi responded. "We've mostly been focusing on training though."

"Yeah. These challenges are helping us get ready for the chunin exams!" Gai said enthusiastically and Kakashi sighed, clearly not as enthusiastic.

"That's good," I responded with a smile. "You better become Chunin fast or else I'll be chasing after you both when I'm a genin."

"I have no doubt," Kakashi stated in amusement and lightly ruffled my hair.

I glared at him with my bright green eyes and began to fix it. I then picked up a rock and threw it, skipping it across the water.

"The Chunin exams can last for a long time, depending on how far you go," I commented. "What am I supposed to do without you guys."

"Well, you'll be graduating soon yeah?" Kakashi asked.

"What, really?!" Gai spoke and looked over in excitement.

"Uh...Yeah. Lord Hokage came to test our skills and said mine were a bit too advanced for the class I was in. So I'm taking the final test early to graduate with the class above me," I responded shyly as I rubbed the back of my neck.

"That's awesome Kira!" Gai announced and stood up. "You're going to be a great Genin!"

"On that note, it's getting late," Kakashi stated and stood up now. "I'm sure we'll see you around Gai."

"Of course!" Gai called and then raced off in the other direction.

I then stood up as well and began to walk with Kakashi back home.

"So....What were you and him talking about before I arrived," I questioned curiously.

"....Gai was worried about his father is all," Kakashi responded. "He didn't understand how Dai could embarrass himself and continue being a genin."

"But....his father is a really nice person," I commented. "Dai always seemed happy doing the jobs he was given."

"I think he is, Gai just didn't understand but now he does," he replied.

"Mhm....You're a good friend to him Kakashi," I said with a smile.

"It was just the right thing to do," Kakashi stated with a shrug as if it was nothing.

"Don't just shrug it off. You may think Gai is weird and annoying but you enjoy the challenges and his presence....To an extent of course," I said with a small giggle.

Kakashi shook his head in amusement at my accusations.

"I think he's someone you can rely on. Okay?" I commented as I lightly patted his shoulder. "I'm just glad you've been able to make friends."

"I'm not that cold am I?" Kakashi asked and I laughed.

"No, but you can be a pain sometimes," I pointed out with a smirk.

"Why you," he began to say and tried to grab me, but I dodged.

"Haha! Try and get me loser!" I teased and raced off.

"You won't even make it back to the house before I catch you!" He called as he chased after me.

Before I knew it, I was graduating from the academy. We had out teams picked out but not our sensei. Due to the war, things are being moved around a lot. Today would be the day I meet my team. The Chunin exams were still going on so I haven't been able to see a lot of my friends in awhile, so hopefully I can make friends with my teammates.