Chapter 4

I cross the street in front of the car and continue down the road, avoiding his heartbreaking gaze. Rose, come on, snap out of it, you just meet him yesterday! You can't seriously have feelings for him. My thoughts are jumbled. I can't think straight. I hold my books closer to my chest and pull my purse strap up, starting a fast paced walk toward the water in front of me. I hear the rumble of the cars engine as it approaches me. I have to do it, I have to tell him to leave me alone. Rejection is a part of every teens life, even if its a werewolf. Even if it hurt the one rejecting the other.

I bite down my lip as a pain come to my chest, pounding through it, almost as if something's trying to get out. Carter starts shouting my name, sadness in his voice, desperation. I hear his footsteps getting closer but continue down the street. He finally reaches out and pulls my arm, spinning me around to face those sad blue eyes. "Don't walk away from me." He says, gripping my arm while his other hand goes around my waist. Tears threaten their escape before I turn back around. "Carter this can't happen." I shake my head, blinking back more tears while trying to keep my voice strong. "You don't want me, and I can't want you." My voice shakes, damn, he knows I'm crying now. He pulls my arm again, making me turn again. He grabs my face and forces his lips onto mine. Fireworks explode all over me. Our lips move in sync as if we have kissed each other multiple times. This is so right, how can feelings be so strong after just two days? My tears continue gushing out as I break away from him. I shake my head more, "this makes no sense. I can't do this." I look at the ground, ready to start the speech again when my wolf's voice sounds into my head, What the hell are you doing??? He's our mate!

I break down, falling to my knees. She's back. My wolf is back. After five years I thought she was gone, but she was just waiting. For the opportune moment to come back. Carter is that moment. He's my mate, the one person designed to be with me forever. Oh my gosh.

Carter falls down onto his knees next to me, lifting my head up to make sure I'm alright. His eyes flooded with concern, until they meet with mine, then they smile back at me. "You know." He says, smiling down at me, while helping me up. "I do." I respond, looking back at him, why must he come along now. I can't have a mate to worry about now, not when I got my wolf back. Carter leads me to the car and holds the door open for me to get in. I formulate my plan. One week, I will let my wolf be happy for one week. Then we are going back to our home, reclaiming our throne. I'm good with that, agrees my wolf. I smile as Carter takes my hand and drives me to the school, over the moon for having my wolf, and my mate.

The school parking lot was crowded as ever, yeah I'm late. We pull in the back of the parking lot and Carter opens my door for me. Giving me his hand, I get out of the car and keep hold of his hand while we strut through the parking lot, Carter waving at everyone, shooting smiles each way. The eyes where all glued onto me, something that should not be happening. I've tried very hard to stay invisible for all these years, now it's all gone. Smile you idiot, your with your mate! My wolf is yelling at me, of course she and I aren't on the best of terms anymore, seeing as I shut her out.

I smile slightly and Carter tightens his grip on my hand, having me lead him to my locker. I slide the books from my bag and onto their assigned shelves then grab the ones needed for the first few periods of the day. Walking into the pre calc room, Jason comes and almost tackles me, before noticing my laced hand with Carter's. he steps back slowly, away from a growling Carter. That is the only incident that happened the whole day, Carter made it know that we are mates by parading around the school, never leaving my side, kissing my cheek, holding my hand, the normal mate stuff. The dreadful day of school is finally over and Carter drives us back to the foster house, being greeted by an angry Jenna and Jordan. I walk into the house and they are standing there, burning red, ready to chew me out. Carter was outside still, given I practically sprinted in here. "What the hell was that today at school? Did you really want to embarrass us that much? Walking around like you mean something, like you belong here!" Jenna starts, when she takes a breath Jordan finishes for her, "Your just the alphas new toy Melrose, he doesn't care about you! Who would? You don't even have a wolf and you aren't good enough to get one!" A growl escapes my throat, my wolf not happy with the disrespect we are getting. I am the Lakin, ruler of our kind and I'm being pushed around by these wolves? Over the years I've just pushed it off, claiming that they aren't worth it, but the respect I should get is worth all the trouble. Burning red I am about to shift, in front of everyone, I don't care who sees, to make them submit to me, their leader. Just then, Carter walks in, having heard everything.