Chapter 12

"Where is Joe?" I ask, pulling myself from the bed. "He left early this morning ma'am, I'm Cassidy, your enforcer, also the Betas mate." She says, unwrapping her legs and standing with me. I open the door before feeling a slight breeze around my legs. I have no pants on, great. I turn back around to find Cassidy holding about ten bags of clothes, "an omega went shopping last night, I hope everything fits, she usually does my shopping two so i know there cute." She says with a smile, handing over the bags when I come back into the room. I pull out a pair of black skinny jeans and a blue button down shirt, and black heels, figuring I wanted to look professional but causal.

"Luna, the alpha wants you to find a dress for tonight's event, it's Marks birthday and their going all 'red carpet' on us." Cassidy reminds me for abut the third time during my breakfast yogurt and granola. "Alright, and please, call me Melrose. The Luna title sounds too formal for us." I say, tossing my bowl into the sink in the wet bar area, Cassidy had brought breakfast up. "Pretty name." She mentions, sitting on the counter beside me. "So your Marks mate, correct? How long have you been together?" I ask, trying to change to subjuct and get on a friendly level with her. "Just a few months, he found me on one of his rounds and we have been together ever since." She says with a sigh, remembering meeting Mark.

"We should probably get going if you are to meet the pack before we go shopping for that dress for tonight." She says, dragging me to the door leading out of the apartment.

Once I stepped off the last of the stairs to the second floor, the hustle and bustle of the halls stopped, all wolves looking at me. This is going to be a long day. The Lakin mutters as I smile at the onlooking eyes. Cassidy snaps her figures at everyone, "Don't stare at your Luna, it's rude." She remarks simply, dragging me through the crowds as they part down the middle, eyeing me up and down. I brush it off, figuring they where going to stare no matter how this situation ended, they would stare and I was prepared.

Cassidy has now stopped in front of a older women, about 60 years old, she smiles and embraces Cassidy in a warm hug, leaving me awkwardly to the side. They parted and the older women looked to me, up and down once, before I finally have had enough with the stares, these are my people, I'm not an alien. I stretch out my hand and she eyes it cautiously. "I'm Melrose, Joes.." I pause swallowing the bail that came up from my stomach, "Luna, and you are?" I chose the safest word I could come up with, saying 'mate' would make me think more about Carter, which will not end well. "I'm Alice, Marks mother. I apologize to stare, it's just that we have always heard stories about you, but we all thought you where dead, just like your....." She stops, noticing the water in my eyes, I breath deeply before playing it cool, "my pack, yes, it was tragic, Joe didn't know I got away." I said, Alice puts her hand to my cheek, "oh dear, you are so strong, please feel free to come to me if you need anything." I nod my head in reply.

I meet the other mothers of the head wolves in the new pack. They where all very sweet, and considerate about my past, not prying too much. Cassidy's mother I liked the most, so sweet and open, she was the spitting image of Cassidy, but with a southern accent. I feel as if I'm back in time, back when I was thirteen, working a room, talking to the people, making they feel comfortable with me. My eyes wonder the room, all women chatting about as they do simple chores in their own rooms, with the door wide open for visitors. I notice quickly, there where no children or teenagers, probably all in school, I assume. The men where all doing pack work as one of the mothers have told me, her son being an enforcer and her mate as well.

Eventually I get bored with the mothers, being as I have deemed them all innocent and therefore had nothing else to do since the small talk got boring. I leave the group I was talking to and look outside a window, nobody noticing me. I gaze out to the huge yard behind the house, complete with a pool and enough space for football. A tap n my shoulder has me jolting back to the room, stiffing my muscles, I turn around and is faced with Cassidy. "Lu, I mean Melrose, the seamstress will be here soon with some dresses for you to try on." I smile at the gleam in her eye, she's excited to bond with me. "Why don't we go out to a store ourselves. Your an enforcer and Joe has trained me from when I was little, I'm sure we can take care of ourselves." Shrug, knowing she would agree with me on that note. "Women aren't aloud off the property unless to an event, such as Marks birthday tonight, then we are only aloud to leave with our mates, and a team of escorts." She says with a sigh, I know she's not happy about this rule. It's a ridiculous rule to begin with, women are just as capable as men, take the Lakin for example, I am the first female Lakin in history, that's why nobody suspects me. "What about the men?" I ask, not wanting to fight as we move through the second floor to the stair to the alpha suit. "Males do whatever they want, the Alpha is really lose on them, not wanting to keep them all bottled up. That's the reason why the started this war in the first place, to control us and roam free themselves." She sighs again, clearly irritated with the way things have changed.