Chapter 13

My heart jumps, knowing he was watching. *I told you he would never leave us,* the Lakin says in a matter of fact tone. A smile creeps up to my lips when I think of what I do next. Throwing the note away I rush to the bathroom, only to be stopped by a set of three enforcers. "Let me through, I need to powder my nose." I say in a kind voice. "I'm sorry Luna, women aren't aloud to leave the ballroom without an escort." He says, looking not so sorry. I'm losing time, I know I am, I roll my eyes. "You will step aside." I said, more a command than anything else. "I can't do that ma'am." He grabs hold of my arm, but I quickly remove it from his grasps, then grabbing his wrist and pinning it between his shoulder blades. Leaning down I whisper into his ear, "Do not ever, tell me what I can and cannot do. I am your," I'm cut off by Cassidy. "Can I help you gentlemen?" The men in front of me that where at first stunned straighten up, "She's not aloud to leave the ballroom, Miss Chase." The second one says. I feel Cassidy's hand on my shoulder, "Let him go, my lady." She requests. I pinch his wrist just a little bit more before letting the man go. "Do not disrespect your Lakin gentlemen." She says quickly before ushering me into the bathroom down the hall.

Once the door was shut I spoke quickly, "What do you know?" I ask. Despite the fact that she just called me the Lakin, I don't know what she knows all together. "What do you mean, my lady?" She asks innocently, wiping all emotion from her face. She's been trained well, but not by my uncle. "Cut the act, I know your hiding something, spill now." I order. Cassidy turns to the mirror and starts fiddling with her hair. "Honest Melrose, what do I have to hide?" She asks, avoiding eye contact, oldest trick in the book. I rip her hands from her hair and press her into the wall, holding her neck with one hand, applying slight pressure. "You called me Lakin. Now stop lying to me." I growl, baring my teeth, and lock my eyes with hers. A gush of breath escapes her, "You where trained well. She said it would be hard to keep this covered up from you." More pressure is applied as I hear the guards hitting on the door. "I'm not afraid to hurt you Cassidy." I warn and she relaxes. "You are the Lakin, my lady." She whispers. I release her just in time for the two guards to bust in. "What the hell?!" I shout, ready to get these idiots with wandering ears away from me.

The guards stare wide eyed at the scene before them. It looked like two girlfriends having a talk to a onlooker. The smallest of the two clears his throat as the other refrains from making eye contact with me. He and Cassidy looked as if they where communicating with their eyes. "Again, I ask why the hell did you just barge into the LADIES room?" My voice is stronger, trying to scare them. It's successful. "I-I'm sorry Luna, the alpha and beta have been looking for you and he was livid when we covered for you." The short guard responds, shifting his weight from foot to foot. Ah, right, your fake mate is 'worried' about you. The Lakin spits out sickly. It's not like I want to run into the murder's arms! I respond back, unhappy with her attitude. I return to the problem at hand, and not just my petty problem, there are real lives at stake here. I grab Cassidy's wrist and pull her past the two guards. "Mark and Joe are going to hear about this!" She's yells over her shoulder.

We make it to the hall and are surrounded by drunk wolves and their mates. The two guards instantly come to our sides, protecting us. Once we step foot into the ballroom, Cassidy dismisses the guards using her head enforcer order. We go to find some champaign, and take some from a passing tray. Instantly, sub Luna's and high ranking Females surround us, all wanting to talk to the famous Alpha's mate. I hate this, the Lakin mutters to me. We just need a plan here. I say back, while I'm smiling on the outside. Wolves fall onto their knees for me, and that's not a Lakin quality. Everyone is created equal.

A pair of cold arms wrap around my waist as an involuntary shiver runs up my spine. "I was looking for you dear." Joe whispers into my ear, not interrupting the conversation happening in front of us. He continues on, "wardrobe crisis, good one, but I taught you it my dear. The next time you want to be alone, remember I have eyes and ears everywhere." He kisses my cheek, making it seem as if something is crawling up my spine. A smile comes onto my face, "so do I dear mate." I say, before finishing my drink and going for another.