Chapter 16

He was in the tunnels when I left, so close to me when I had nothing and yet he stayed in the shadows. *He is here now isnt he???* the Lakin comments at my thought, but I just push it to the side, shes just as hurt as I was that he wouldn't stand beside me. *Just put on a brave face, the fate of our race cannot be changed because of some silly grudge.* I take a deep breath and pull Carter close to me, inhaling his scent to calm me down. I turn back and plaster a smile on my face, "Let's get to work. Since it's already late we can start tomorrow. " I said with a smile and the small crowd disappeared down Main Street.

"Why don't we walk you to your room Lakin." Abigail says, motioning down the hall. "Lead the way." Carter says, taking my hand in his and following Barrett and Abigail. Tunnels peal off from Main Street to separate areas, such as rooms and offices as Carter explained as we pasted each one. After a few minutes Abigail and Barrett peal off from us and walk down a tunnel, "Their room." Carter mutters into my ear and I nod, quickly pulling him away from their doorway. He stops in front of another tunnel about ten to fifteen feet down Main Street. "Kitchen," he says, lifting out intertwined hands to point down the tunnel. "You have a kitchen?" I ask, wondering how the hell they got electricity down here in the first place. "It was part of the pack house that didn't burn to the ground, it had all the pipes we needed, just some cosmetic changes and bang bang, we got ourselves a kitchen. Some of the wolves that escaped attacks got nervous whenever a plan would go wrong, or you wouldn't come, so they resorted to working with their hands." He is now pulling me down farther the Main Street. I can tell the street is ending soon, because the street is getting narrower and the lights fewer apart. We end up in a huge cave like room, ceilings going about ten feet above our heads. A chandelier of all things hung in the middle, lighting up the rest of the room when Carter flipped a switch. A king sized bed sat off in one corner of the room, blankets smoothed out but not technically 'made'. Next to the bed where two night stands on either side and a chest at the foot of the bed. The other side of the room was clearly made into a bathroom, with double sinks and garnet counter tops. The floors over there changed from the constant wood to shiny black tile. A shower was attacked to the wall and a curtain cut it off from the rest of the room. Right next to the entrance was a huge wardrobe, filled with female clothes. On the other side of the door was a dresser, overflowing with Carters clothes. Our hands rise up again and he points it in front of us, "Our room." He says with certainty and strength in his voice, making it come out a bit husky.

That was all I needed to know we where alone. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled his lips down to meet my own, he kissed back passionately, keeping up with my movements. This felt right. Sparks crept through my body, starting at the pit of my stomach and slowly coming to the tips of my figures. His hands massaged my lower back and I tugged his hair slightly, causing a growl to emerge from deep inside. My lips form a smile and his hands go lower,cupping my ass and playing with the ends of my shorts. I jump up and wrap my legs around his waist as he moves us to the bed. My bare shoulders hit the cool sheets, shocking me a little. Carter's lips leave mine and go onto my neck, right over the faded mark he made a little over a month ago. "I missed this spot." He whispers into my ear. A moan escapes my mouth and he chuckles, "obviously it missed me too." The pressure on top of me is lifted and I am flipped onto my side. "I missed you Melrose, but this is not the right time." He kisses my check and wraps an arm around my waist. "Your tired sweetheart, I can tell. Goodnight my lady." With that my eyes flutter shut and I fall into a deep sleep.

Consciousness fills my body slowly. First my toes, then my feet start feeling the silky sheets against them. My bare legs ache slightly and stretch on cue, relaxing the muscles. Then I feel the arm around my bare waist and the legs intertwined with my own, I jump out of the covers. My mind immediately goes to the first thing I expect, Joe was in the bed with me. I growl and open my eyes, scanning the room for the soon to be dead almighty 'alpha', but I come up empty. A lump is under the sheets with a full head of dark brown hair tossed around. Carter, the Lakin whispers once she is finally aware of the situation. My arms that where tense at my side, ready for any attack relax and I watch the large lump rise up and down, he was still asleep. My heart swells, he is so adorable when he sleeps.