Hospital

I was in and out of consciousness for the next day or so. It was hard to tell time when I hadn't even opened my eyes far enough to see past my eyelashes.

The first time I awoke, I heard an unfamiliar voice describing what sounded like various injuries. I couldn't really decipher since it was all muddled in my mind. The next voice that came was Craig's, but I had fallen asleep again before I could make out what he was saying.

The next time, I heard Karen's voice. She was saying something about me waking up. Though, her excitement was short-lived as I was again drifted off.

The third time was the charm. I woke up with a dry mouth and my body aching all over. I slowly opened my eyes, thankful that the curtains were drawn and the light in the room wasn't very bright. I heard breathing nearby, and turned my head to the side to see Craig fidgeting in a chair and giving me a concerned look.

"Are you actually awake this time?" he asked hopefully.

"I think so..." I said softly, my voice scratchy. "What happened?" I asked.

I glanced around the room. I laid in a white bed that was just over the fine line between comfortable and uncomfortable. An IV was attached to my arm that was riddled with bruises. The walls of the room were a pastel bluish color, seeming to be the only color in the boring room. A small television in front of my bed was playing some weird family game show. I'd been in this situation more times than I probably should have been, so I knew it was a hospital. Hell's Pass Hospital, to be exact.

"Do you not remember last night?"

"Sort of. I just thought I died."

Craig shook his head. "Karen got home last night to see you passed out on the floor with your dad still beating you. She ran to call me, not knowing what else to do. She was bawling her eyes out, saying she thought you were going to die. I got there as soon as I could. Your dad had begun to go for Karen, who had locked herself in your bedroom, by the time I got there. I managed to detain him, taking a few punches to the face in the process. Karen and I rushed you to the hospital, and they had no choice but to call the police," Craig explained.

"Jesus Christ..." I mumbled.

"Sorry, too much, too soon?"

"A little. I just need time to process it, is all."

He nodded. "I understand. How are you feeling?"

"Like shit."

"With three broken ribs, that sounds about right."

I cringed at the sound of that. I knew I had heard the sound of my own bones snapping, and it just brought the noise back. It was grotesque and I would never get used to hearing it.

"So where's Karen?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Either talking to the doctors to get information on your condition out of them or making herself another cup of coffee downstairs in the cafeteria."

A thought then occurred to them. If Karen was keeping herself awake with coffee, I could only imagine how much sleep Craig was missing. "Have you slept at all?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I was too worried. The doctors said you would wake up, despite the severity of your injuries, but I was still scared to lose you."

A doctor soon entered, interrupting our conversation. "Ah! You're finally awake!" he said happily. "How are you feeling."

"Like shit," I answered, not really in the mood to filter my profanity.

The doctor nodded, and jotted something down on his clipboard. "We'll be sure to get you some painkillers right away. I'm Dr. Smith. The two nurses that will come by regularly will vary."