chapter two

"All right, let me do the talking." Shawn says.

"Is that even an option?" Gus asks.

"I want... I want a lot of witnesses for my miraculous vision." Shawn says as they walk towards Lassiter and Lucinda walking towards a restaurant.

"Yeah, yeah. There they go. Detectives!" Gus calls. "Detectives! Detectives! We have a breakthrough."

"It is very important." Shawn says.

"I also have something important. I call it lunch. Make an appointment." Lassiter says.

"But this is--"

"You don't have my interest. You don't have my ear. Find a beat cop. Tell your story. I'll read the report. Good day, gentlemen." Lassiter says.

"You're mean." Zoey frowns at the detective. Lassiter looks at her and is about to say something until Lucinda elbows him.

"She's a toddler." She says making the man keep his mouth shut.

"Still can't believe he has offspring." Lassiter mumbles. "After you." He tells Lucinda.

"Detective!" Shawn calls. "Don't eat the chicken." The two go into the restaurant.

"Don't eat the chicken?" Gus asks.

The three go across the street, hanging around since Shawn knows that Lassiter will come around. Shawn lets Zoey play with his hand and use it to twirl around in circles.

"So the plan was to annoy them into believing you?" Gus asks.

"Billy Camp's working the grill." Shawn says.

"So?" Gus asks.

"So? Billy Camp has the worst hay fever I've ever seen. Feel this wind? Feel it?"

After a moment, they see Lassiter get up from the table.

"Here we go. Act natural." Shawn says and they both lean against the rail while Zoey is still twirling around.

"Okay. What is it?" Lassiter asks.

+++

They're in the backseat of Lassiter's car while he drives and Lucinda is in the passenger seat. Shawn is practicing his surprise faces causing Zoey to giggle and Gus glares at his friend. Gus slaps Shawn, getting him to stop, and Zoey only giggles more.

Lassiter parks the car and they all get out, Shawn unbuckling Zoey and lifting her out of her seat.

"This is great. Now what?" Lassiter asks.

"Does anyone have any binoculars?" Shawn asks, starting to walk down the trail.

"No. No. You see, we don't carry binoculars." Lassiter says and Shawn takes binoculars out of his back pocket.

"Ooh, never mind. I found some here in my pocket." Shawn says, stopping and he looks through the binoculars. "There it is! Just like I saw it." They walk to where the trio was earlier and Lassiter takes the binoculars.

"Want to tell me what I'm looking for, please?" The detective questions.

"Uh, I'm... I'm not sure exactly. I see a bone?" Shawn says.

"What, a human bone?" Lassiter asks.

"No. No. Rawhide? And a ball."

"Holy crap." Lassiter mutters. "Call for backup."

"What? What do you see, detective?" Shawn asks in false confusion.

~ ~ ~

They all get to the cabin side of the lake and there's cops and an ambulance there and the SWAT team rushes into the cabin.