˚₊· Her Voice

˚₊·

EVENINGS IN PARIS were usually the opposite of quiet. But not this time. This time, Marinette Dupain-Cheng sat on the roof of her parents' bakery, sketching under the fairy lights that surrounded her. She erased the section she had just drawn, redrew it, then gave up and just tore the page out.

  She slumped against the brick wall, taking a second to get her mind back on track. The wind picked up suddenly, blowing her dark hair into her face. It was usually held back by two red ribbons, but considering today was a weekend, she had decided the extra effort wasn't necessary.

 An unfamiliar sound snapped her out of her thoughts. She listened again, realizing the sound wasn't as strange as she had originally thought.

It was a person's voice.

Marinette leaned over her balcony, searching for the source of the melody. It only took a moment before her eyes set right in front of her.

Just across the street, the light of a room illuminated a girl sitting by the window. Her head rested on her arms, her eyes stared at the city below. She was singing, and she was singing beautifully.

  Marinette couldn't help but stare. It was as if the girl's voice was putting her in a trance. And frankly, it was a trance she didn't seem to mind. Marinette didn't recognize any of the lyrics, but it sounded gorgeous nonetheless.

  The girl looked up for a brief moment, and even from a distance, Marinette could tell she tensed up.

They locked eyes for a moment, before the singing stopped completely. The lights in the room went out, and the girl disappeared along with them.

Marinette realized she'd been holding her breath, and let out a sigh. Despite the cool air, she could still feel the heat on her face. She took a step back from the balcony and leaned against the wall, her heart still racing.

Even as she went to bed and threw the blanket over her, she still couldn't get the melody out of her head.

Is it possible to fall in love with someone's voice?