˚₊· Our Moment

˚₊·

THE TWO OF THEM lay next to each other on the blankets spread across the roof. Foodless plates and empty glasses sat on a table nearby. All was quiet as they stared at the sparkling specks of white painted across an inky night sky.

"I didn't know you liked stargazing," Claire said.

Marinette laughed under her breath. "I don't," she admitted. "Not really, anyway. I can't give you a list of constellations or anything like that."

Claire shrugged lightly. "I'm okay with that.

Marinette opened her mouth to say something, but then all of a sudden the wind breezed through their setup, making the fairy lights shake and causing a shudder to go up her spine.

"It's getting colder," Claire said, pointing it out before she could.

"Yeah, it is. Have you ever been ice skating? We should go sometime."

"That sounds great, but right now, I'm kinda freezing."

Claire grabbed the blanket in the corner and tossed it over the two of them. The wind was signaling the winter season that had slowly begun to creep up. And as fun as it was, being surrounded by fluffy blankets also sounded pretty nice.

"I went ice skating once when I was a kid," Claire remembered. "Fell right as I got onto the ice. It was pretty embarrassing, so I haven't really been skating since."

"We should go, then!" Marinette insisted. "It'll be fun, I promise."

The excitement on Marinette's face was the only convincing that Claire needed.

They sighed. "Okay, then. Besides, you'll be there, so it won't be so bad."

The butterflies in Marinette's stomach couldn't help but flutter at that. Her eyes suddenly went to the corner of Claire's mouth. "Oh, hold on. You still have some crumbs on your face."

Claire wiped the side of their face with the back of their hand. "Did I get it?"

Marinette had to stop herself from letting out a snicker. They hadn't gotten a single crumb off. "Here, let me."

She brought her thumb to their lips, gently brushing away the remaining pieces of earlier chocolate chip cookies. "There, got it!"

The two of them exchanged a smile, but for some reason, Marinette didn't find herself pulling away. Time seemed to pause, just for a moment.

"Your eyes are beautiful," Claire said quietly.

Did...did she just...

"T-thank you," Marinette breathed. She couldn't even comprehend the compliment. However, she could comprehend the shade of red that her cheeks were probably turning. But she couldn't help it. There was something just so surprising, so heart racing, about Claire calling her beautiful. Because in that moment, all she could think of was how beautiful Claire was.

The moonlight overhead illuminated the highlights in her hair that she hadn't noticed before, and the arrangement of freckles that was splattered all over her face. Her eyes were the most gorgeous shade of brown she'd ever seen on anyone. When it was dark like this, her eyes matched that darkness, so that she could barely see her pupils. But when it was light out, they were bright and warm and had no sense of judgment.

"Marinette?"

Marinette snapped out of her daze.

"Sorry, what did you say?"

Claire held up her phone, and one side of her white earbuds. She'd already plugged them into the jack and put one in her ear.

"You wanna listen?" she asked with a smile.

Marinette nodded, and Claire gave her the left side.

One push of a button, and her ears were filled with a song she hadn't heard before. It was new, but it wasn't a bad new. It was calm, and bright, yet she could imagine herself dancing to this in her room. The lyrics slowly enveloped her as the song went on. All she could say by the end was that she loved it.

"Hey, what song is this?"

Claire told her, and Marinette made a mental note.

"I can make you a playlist if you want?" Claire suggested.

"Really? Thank you!"

They both went back to the music for a moment, but then Claire paused the song and turned to her.

"I'm really glad I met you, Mari. Sorry if that's sudden, it's just. I don't know." Claire ran a hand through her hair before continuing. "I'm used to being alone, I guess. It's nice to have someone whose company I enjoy. You're someone whose presence I actually miss when they're not around. "

Gently, Mari put her hand on top of hers, gently intertwining. "I'm really glad I met you, too."

They gave her another look. Another
calming, reassuring look that never failed to put her at ease. Claire rested their head against her shoulder, and Marinette leaned into them. And as the stars twinkled above them both, they did nothing but relax into each other.

---------------------------------
₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥ note from moon:
I've left Claire's playlist in the comments! If you have any suggestions/songs you think she would like, feel free to comment them cause it's kinda small right now and I'd love to add more ♡