˚₊· Our Date

˚₊·

SHE FORCED HERSELF OUT OF BED,  mumbling and swearing under her breath. The light of her bathroom hit her eyes, and just as she was about to go back to the comfort of her soft mattress, she gasped.

I have a date.

Before Claire could think another thought, her feet were taking her to her closet and her hands were grabbing hangers and shoes and throwing clothes onto the bed.

I didn't pick my clothes out last night! How much time do I have?!

She frantically scanned the room for her phone and found it under the blanket. A sudden text made her jump, but she recovered quickly enough to read the message.

Marinette ♡

Morning! <3 Are we still hanging out at 12??

Claire checked the time. If she wasn't terrified before, her soul had left her body at that point. "It's almost 11," she whispered, horrified. "How did I sleep so late?! This isn't enough time!"

She quickly shot Marinette a text back, then hurried to get ready.

She went through four outfits in the span of thirty minutes. Finally, she settled on a black plaid dress over a white shirt. It would be cold if she wore just that, but layering was always an option.

Claire ran a hand through her hair, trying but failing to put her loose strands back in place. She took a deep breath in an attempt to calm her nerves, but she failed at that too.

"I'm going on a date," she said to herself as she brushed her hair. The realization had been in her head all of the previous night, but it was still so surprising. "I'm going on a date. Someone asked me for a date and I said yes."

She paused and shook her head. Marinette wasn't just someone. Not even close.

"I'm going on a date with Marinette."

Claire couldn't help but squeal, and laced up their ankle boots with a smile on their face.

The doorbell rang, pulling them out of their internal panic. They somehow managed to run downstairs without twisting an ankle.

They heard Marinette's voice echo through the walls. "Hi! I'm here for Claire."

"Oh, I remember," their mom said. "Claire mentioned that I think. She seemed really excited to--"

"Mooom..."

Claire had shown up behind her, their face red with embarrassment. Estelle smiled, and ruffled their hair before returning to her office. That left Marinette and Claire alone by the front door.

"Hey," they said at the same time.

Claire looked her up and down. She had always found Marinette pretty, but she had somehow managed to look even prettier.

She had decided to put away the ribbons, so her indigo hair rested loosely on her shoulders. That alone was enough to make Claire's heart skip a beat. Her light pink sweater was tucked into a navy blue pleated skirt, and she wore black tights under it.

"Oh. Wow. You look..." Claire quickly fanned herself with one hand, cursing in her head.

Marinette laughed, a noticeable blush rising to her face. "Thanks. You look beautiful by the way."

It was Claire's turn to blush. Her brain short-circuited, and she suddenly had no idea what to say or even how to form words in the first place.

"So, should we get going?" she managed to say.