Kept Secrets

-*- Hunter -*-

I padded my pocket as I walked into the house. I was four hundred dollars richer. That will probably be the last time my brother and his friends invite me over for poker, but it was so worth it.

As I entered the living room, I saw Christine covering a comatose Holly with a blanket.

"Hey trouble," I said quietly.

She looked up and smiled at me then pointed towards the kitchen while picking up an empty tequila bottle.

I followed her with a chuckle, "looks like y'all had a good time."

"More like a drowning of sorrows session," she sighed. "Have fun?"

"Yeah, wiped them clean. How's married life?"

"Like dating, but with the same last name," she joked. "Dale misses you."

"I miss him too."

I haven't seen him since their wedding. Candace promptly alerted me that her boss was going to be her attorney for the divorce just after. Meaning I couldn't have any contact with my best friend until it was finalized. He worked for the same law firm. Which sucked because I could really use him right now.

"I still can't believe you two are married," I commented. "You were at each other's throats in high school."

"College changes people," she said with a shrug.

"Is she okay?" I asked quietly, mentally noting her sober state.

"Yeah, she will be fine," she answered. "She just hasn't drank like this since her breakup with Callum, you remember him, so it hit her pretty hard."

"You mean the jackass fiancé who cheated on her a few years ago?" I growled.

-//- TWO YEARS AGO -//-

I patted Dale on the back as we hugged.

"Dammit man, it's good to have you back," I said as we took our seats at LUCY'S

"It's good to be back, I really missed this place."

"You could have visited more you know," I teased.

"See if I did that, I'd still be in school," he pointed out. "Instead, I'm home with your dumbass starting a new job on Monday."

The bell above the door to the restaurant jingled and out of habit I looked up. I was not expecting a gorgeous redhead to walk in though. Jesus, how did she get more beautiful in four years.

Dale waved his hand in front of my face before looking over his shoulder to see what distracted me. He sighed as I cleared my throat and looked down at the menu. I knew it by heart, but I needed something to distract me.

"So," I said casually. "She's home too."

"Really?" he deadpanned, "I'm home, Christine is home, did you honestly think we would leave Holly behind?"

"I know I just..."

"Don't you two talk anymore?"

"Just an exchange of texts on birthdays and holidays here lately."

I sighed and dropped the menu to the table. The honest answer to that was not like we used to. She's been distant ever since I married Candace.

After prom, I was ready to tell her everything. Start a new life with her. The way it should have been from day one when Dale convinced me to sack up and ask her out.

Now, Holly will just always be the one that got away. Okay, more like the one I pushed away.

I looked over at her again. She looked happy, maybe not having me in her life is good for her. The sun reflected off of something shiny on her left hand.