Chapter 3

HERE IT GOES........

Shehnaaz's POV:

I woke up with swollen and red eyes. I guess I slept staring at the ceiling. I was not able to think straight. I wanted to cry but I guess there were no tears left in my eyes, I wanted to share my feelings with someone but I have no one. Nothing felt right. Life felt like a huge burden. Wow!!! Life is just so unexpected. I couldn't believe my life changed this much within last 24 hours.

Yesterday, I was someone with hopes, desires, dreams; but just look at me now I am someone with no hopes, dreams and no idea what the future holds for me.

I heard a knock at my door. I got up from bed and opened the door. I saw my mom standing outside. Mom came inside and sat on the bed. I knew she wants to talk about something. I closed the door and asked her.

"You want to say something??"

"Shehnaaz, look I know you are upset with us. But just let me tell you the actual reason about why your father behaved like that. The reason that he said Yesterday were true but it wasn't the entire truth. And I know after knowing the truth you will forgive us." Mom replied.

I got tensed. Was there something I don't know?? Was everything fine? Did I really misunderstood them? What is it?

"Shehnaaz, a very rich family has sent a marriage proposal for you, they are very good acquaintance of us, and boy can even take you to foreign, you want to travel right? These types of proposals don't come everyday, boy is....." Mom said.

Everything just went blurr, I could see my mom talking but I couldn't hear her. Till now I was blaming myself, but no! Mom was right I misunderstood the situation, I just realized the actual problem here wasn't with me. It was society.

In the society we live in, a boy has independence of what career he wants to choose, what he wants to wear, he has freedom to travel alone with/without anyone's questions, whereas when it comes to a girl, they have to wear a salwar suit, they can't travel alone in night because it's unsafe and gladly the people who makes it unsafe are again boys but to which no one will question or ask them to stay at home, will they? About career a girl's choice doesn't matter, at end they have to get married to a well settled guy only. A huge round of applause to our society.

Why every time when a parent is given a choice of : 1) a girl to work hard and make her own career or 2) marry them to a well settled or rich guy. Why is 2nd option the most preferred one? Why? Can't a girl at least become financially independent? Why is a girl being self independent not acceptable?

And yesterday I was not responsible enough to live alone and today magically I am responsible enough to manage the whole fucking family. Great! just great!! Isn't it the height of hypocrisy??

"Shehnaaz, you know shalu was also saying that your daughter has turned 24 years when is she getting married?" Mom told.

Relatives. One of the biggest problems. Why people are more interested in other people's lives than their own? Will Shalu live with my future husband? Will she pay my car loans, housing loans, student loans,etc? This was the lamest thing my mom could have ever said.

"Mom!! You want me to get married??" I said interrupting the thing she was saying about groom's achievement.

"Yes shehnaaz, that is what I am saying since past 1 hour" Mom replied.

"Just leave me alone for sometime. Please!!" I said.

"But shehnaaz, listen to me at least-"

"Mom, please" I said.

"Shehnaaz look, you can stop me now but you father has already invited Mr. And Mrs. Khurana for dinner. Don't try to act over smart and remember we are a reputed family. I have already selected your saari." Mom sighed and went outside.

Wow!! I don't even know what to think. And Mom expected me to not only forgive them but also happily get married to someone I have no idea about just because he is well settled. Wow!! Amazing 👏

*****

This row has 4, 5, 9 then this row has 6, 3,4,2. Ok ok 7 will come here.
So, now 7 is here then another 7 is there. But what now?

"Ouch" I yelled.

"Shehnaaz keep your head straight" Kristin our neighbor asked.

So yeah guys!! I am playing suduko. Because there is nothing more interesting and worthy going on in my life.

This row has 1, 5, 6 then this row has 4, 7,8,9,3 . Ok ok 2 will come here. So, now 2 is here. Then what?????

"Shehnaaz!!! Tilt your head on left side" Kriti said. I obeyed her.

So, where was I?? Yes, soooo now this box is completed. So 1 will come here and 3 will come there.

Suddenly, the newspaper was snatched from my hand and I knew who it was?? I just rolled my eyes.

"Shehnaaz!!!! What are you doing ???" Mom asked almost yelled at me.

"I am doing something fruitful, this will at least keep my brain sharp." I said ignoring her.

"Stop this! You are getting ready right now. Stop acting like a child, the guest might be arriving any moment and you haven't got ready yet. Kriti do it fast and scold her if she throws any tantrums. I am going downstairs so much of work is left." Mom yelled at both of us and left.

So, right now I am sitting in front of mirror getting ready. I sighed.

After 20 min, I heard the door bell ring. I knew they have arrived. I was almost ready too.

After sometime, my mom called me downstairs. And I went down to see a old couple, a man whom I assumed is "the guy" and a kid sitting on sofa.

Wait!!!! Why is a kid over here?? She can't be the daughter of this old couple. So!!!!!! Don't tell me this guy already has a child. God!!! Nothing can go more wrong then this. My parents didn't even bother to tell me such important detail. Great!!! Just great!!!

"So Mr. Khurana, this our daughter Shehnaaz. And shehnaaz this is Mr. Rajeev Khurana and his wife Mrs. Rita Khurana. This is their son Aditya Khurana." Dad introduced us.

......

So, now what will happen next??

Who is Aditya??

Is shehnaaz getting married to him??

I don't know. Wait for the next update 😉