Chapter 24

All the next day, they had stayed in the castle relaxing because they knew that, when they got to the Wall, there would be no such thing. Mare had played with Felan and Summer for a good part of the day, teaching Felan all sorts of tricks and hunting for her. Summer was very protective and would often lick her ears when she would whine.

The other parts of the day she spent with Bran. They found a small pond in the woods and she decided that they both needed some cleaning up. When they got to it, she scrubbed her face clean and did the same to Bran, making sure not to scrub his face too hard and hurt him. She tried to get him to undress so he could have a bath, but his cheeks lit up like the sun and he changed the topic.

By nightfall, her and Meera had prepared a small supper of rabbits and some berries Mare had found. Even though it was a small-ish meal, they were all satisfied and were quite tired.

"We all better get to bed, we really have a long way to go tomorrow," Mare said, petting Summer and Felan as they curled by the fire.

"You're really starting to sound like a mother, Little Swan," Meera said to her, a warm, proud smile spreading across her face.

"It's always been in my nature. I took care of my little brother, Rickon, and Bran. It has always been a part of me," Mare shrugged. "Enough talk, get to sleep. Even you, Hodor."

Everyone laid down and got comfortable in their places, including Bran and Mare. Eventually, he fell asleep and Mare stayed awake, unable to sleep. She was thinking too much about her future with Bran and her future being the Lady of Winterfell.

When she did fall asleep, she had no visions. It was a deep sleep...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Mare. Mare, wake up. There's something down there," Bran hissed, shaking Mare. She rolled over and got to her feet, her head spinning because she jumped up so fast.

She heard a groaning coming from the lower level of the castle, and her hands trembled as she pulled her life out of her boot. She moved towards Bran and protectively crouched in front of him, not willing to let anything happen to him.

There was a smash of wood, and a cloaked figure came up from a door in the floor. Meera jumped to it, tackling it to the ground and putting a knife to its neck.

"Don't kill me!" he shouted, fright definitely present in his voice.

"Sam, are you okay?" a woman asked, emerging from the same hole and holding a baby. She jumped at the sight of Meera holding a knife to her partner's neck.

"Who are you both?" Mare asked, her hands loosening their grip on the knife.

"I'm Sam, and that's Gilly," the man said quickly, wincing away from the knife. Hodor lifted Bran to a chair and Mare followed, standing next to him and gripping his hand.

"Where are you going?" Jojen asked them, and Meera realeased her grip on Sam and let him stand.

"Back to Castle Black," Sam said, and Gilly walked to his side.

"Then you know my brother! Jon Snow!" Bran said, his face breaking into a smile.

"I can help you get back to Castle Black," Sam offered, but Bran's face hardened and he looked away.

" I can't," he said, looking up to Mare. "My wife and I have some business to take care of."

"She's your wife? Then... she's a Lady... and you're a Lord! Forgive me," Sam said, starting to bow. Mare laughed and stopped him.

"We're just children," Mare laughed, bidding him to stand. "But one day he will rule Winterfell. You both are always welcome to our home."

"I don't mean to be rude, but where are you going?" Gilly asked, rocking her baby to sleep.

"North of the Wall," Bran said grimly. "Please help us."

Sam exchanged a look with Gilly, and the look didn't mean anything remotely close to yes.

"Please, please help us Sam. Mare and I don't have a choice," Bran pleaded, his voice cracking.

Sam hesitated a moment, before nodding his head yes.