Part 1: Ten Years Later

Zoey narrates.

10 years later.

Flashback.

'She has been a pillar to our community and has given our brand the cultural and fashion forward vision that it has been lacking for many years now. She has devoted her life, since graduation, to our company and the changes she has made have been incredible. We could not think of anyone more deserving for this position! Please welcome, Vogue's new global editor-in-chief, Mrs Zoey Johnson-Jackson.'

I step forward from behind the stage, to the front, as the lights beam down on me, and the press applauds, snapping whatever photos they can. I look on to see so many role models within the fashion industry, all here to support me (surreal, right?). 

But most importantly, my eyes fixate upon my family, beaming with pride. My 18 year old daughter Zara and my 15 year old son, AJ, scream my name from the middle row. Aaron cheers beside them, a wide grin plastered to his face. My eyes grow teary, as I take it all in. As the crowd settles for me to give my speech, I lock my eyes with Aaron's, as he whispers, 'I love you.'

_____

Flashback.

'Thank you all for coming. This has been a long time in the making, and we've had to face so many challenges in the lead up to this. But...it's all been so worth it. I want to thank my best friend, Doug, for all of his help and for being my partner in this company. I want to thank my father-in-law, Andre, for all of his guidance and pushing me to do this. Most of all, I want to thank my family. My incredible children who inspire me every day, and my beautiful wife, Zoey, for all of her support and constant love. This would not have been possible without you.' Aaron says, looking at me, as I smile, whilst we all await the unveiling of Aaron's advertising company, at the official ribbon cutting ceremony.

'So, with that, I take the next step in my career, and open up my own firm, Johnson & Jackson, named with my wife in mind, just like every other decision I make in my life.' He says, as he cuts the ribbon and is met with an applause.

I immediately go over, and wrap my arms around him, as he kisses my cheek.

'Thank you. For everything.' He whispers in my ear.

_____

Present day.

I'm serving up pancakes to Aaron and Zara, as they sit at the breakfast counter in the kitchen.

Zara types away on her laptop, frustratedly.

'What's gotten you so worked up, honey?' Aaron asks, taking a sip of his coffee.

'I keep redrafting my college essay. I'm just not happy with it.' She replies.

'Why don't you let us take a look?' I suggest.

'Thanks, mom, but I'd rather you see it once I'm completely happy with it.' She says, and I nod.

'She's a perfectionist, like me.' Aaron says, as I playfully roll my eyes.

We all know how alike him and Zara are.

A little while later, AJ comes downstairs, and puts on his backpack, heading for the door.

'Hold on, AJ. Where are you going? Come and eat something.' I say, as Aaron turns around to see him.

'I'm good, mom. Anyways, can we get going now?' He asks.

'What's the rush?' Aaron asks.

'Why are you guys always on me, asking so many questions?' He replies, annoyed, as I look on confused.

'Whatever, I'll just meet you in the car.' He says, before leaving.

'Might want to keep an eye on that one.' Zara says, as I shake my head.

_____

That evening, after the work and school, we head to the Johnson family home for dinner.

'Hi, Rainbow!' Zara says, excitedly, as my mom swarms her and AJ in a hug.

'Oh my babies!' She replies.

'AJ what's wrong, son?' My dad asks, looking at a frowning AJ.

'He's fine. He just didn't want to come to family dinner.' I say, as Aaron and I enter the kitchen.

'What? Why not? You love family dinner!' My mom says, looking at him, distraught.

AJ shakes his head and walks into the living room, where he watches TV, joining Jack and Diane.

'What has gotten into him?' My mom asks, shocked, looking at Aaron and I.

'I think he's just going through his grumpy teen phase.' Aaron suggests.

'Well, everyone had one. Except me, of course. Think we should consider sending him away.' Zara says, shrugging her shoulders.

'Leave your brother alone.' I say, giving her the glare, as she smiles sarcastically, leaving.

'God, kids, it never gets easier, does it?' I say, sighing.

'When you get to our age and your kids are married, with their own children and leave you alone, then it'll get easier.' My dad replies, as I laugh.

A little while after dinner, Aaron and I sit together on the backyard porch, as the rest of the family erupt in laughter from the living room.

'What's up?' Aaron asks, stroking my hand.

'Nothing.' I say, as he narrows his eyes.

'Okay, fine. I'm worried about AJ. I know that he's growing up, but I feel like we've both just been so busy at work and everything, and focussing about Zara's college application, that maybe he's feeling left out?' I say, as Aaron nods.

'Maybe we should take a vacation soon? Reconnect with the kids. I feel like it's well deserved.' Aaron says, putting his feet up on the coffee table and leaning back.

'How are you feeling?' I ask, moving closer toward him.

'Like, with everything. The new firm opening and stuff. I know it's been busy.' I say.

'It's...overwhelming, I guess.' He replies, and I nod.

We sit together in silence for a little while, before he lifts my head up by my chin, so that I'm directly facing him.

I smile at him, tired.

'I feel like we haven't sat together in a while and just talked.' He says, as he holds my face with his hand.

'I'm sorry.' He adds.

'It's okay. We're here together now. That's all that matters. Do you remember when Zara used to throw excruciating tantrums when she never got her way?' I say, as he laughs.

'You used to tell me, 'one day at a time'. So yeah, one day at a time.' I say, smiling.

He leans in and kisses my lips softly, as I reciprocate and kiss him back. After a couple minutes, we pull away, as I rest my head on his shoulder, and he puts his arm around me. We stay cooped up together for as long as we can, the voices of the family inside seeming distant, as we remain in our own little bubble.

_____