Chapter 6

'Edti na Echani,' Kara heard as she and her friends searched for what Oron called a clue to lead them down the correct path.

Her head hurt, the call from her mother was getting louder and more demanding by the hour, and mixed with the endless amount of whispers she wanted to scream but she ignored both the chants and her mother's voice calling for her.

She knew they were here to figure out how to stop that call. So for now she would deal with the burden of its cries, just as she knew Nico and Oron were dealing with the burden that is herself.

Meanwhile, Nico and Oron were running around the small square where there was room to make the first choice.

"Guys! I don't think that needs to be there," Kara said pointing in the direction of an ape statue, which was hidden behind a thin glass making it seem nearly invisible.

"That, dear Kara, is the statue of shifting. If a powerful Enchantian holds it they can change their shape; however, to us it's quite useless," Oron explained whilst still none stop running from corner to corner of the room looking for a riddle.

'Edti na Echani, Edti na Echani, Edti na Echani,' Kara heard from the left entrance.

'Edti na Echani, Edti na Echani, Edti na Echani, Edti na Echani, Edti na Echani,' she heard from the right path.

And straight ahead was quiet, only a murmur that Kara caught every few seconds. A whisper of 'Edti na Echani.'

What had Oron said? The Moonstone was useless. He also said that the more powerful the artifact, the more monsters. So logically that would mean, the less powerful the item, the fewer monsters. So forward?

Kara bit her lip. The boys wouldn't want her to interfere with their work so she opted to not mention this fact and continued to help them look for a clue.

"Mist! Look," Nico told Oron who tilted his head at a plant that had wording on it.

"Scroll is true, scroll is blue, inside me, I find you. Down this road, you must choose. Left is right and right has left. Forward faces many foes and backward you will tremble and as any remaining safety goes..."

Kara frowned attempting to make sense of what she had just heard.

"Left is right," Nico pointed out.

"It seems far too obvious," Oron told him so the prior nodded.

"Forward faces many foes, the Moonstone is useless, I do not believe it would bring that many monsters for us to face."

"Yet right has left, shows no logical reason to be correct," Nico remarked.

Kara knew she had to tell them, it was the right thing to do.

"Boys?" Kara asked but the boys simply shook their heads.

"We'll answer your questions when we are safe from the danger. For now, just relax. This place will be scary but we'll get us out of here as soon as possible," they chorused.

Kara nodded.

See? They know you're useless. Even knowing that you're a Whisperer, they don't trust you enough to tell them how many monsters there are per path, her self-doubt told her.

'Find me,' her call instructed.

Yeah, yeah, she thought.

"Wait forward faces many foes. Perhaps it is meant specifically for us, enchanted to adapt to what the person entering the maze wants," Oron thought and Nico nodded.