Chapter 14

Panic didn't ease with every passing second.

The stranger kneeled to where Kara was sitting and spoke in a gentle, yet firm voice.

"Little girl."

Kara's attention didn't shift to the stranger so instead, the person opted to put themself in her line of sight.

"Child."

Kara developed a look of distraught when she registered the stranger's presence.

"I need you to take a deep breath, okay? Can you do that?"

Kara gently nodded her head and took a deep breath.

"Good, now try to mimic my breathing."

After a moment of hesitance, Kara obeyed.

It took twenty minutes but eventually, the person got Kara to calm down.

Kara smiled at the stranger.

"Thanks," she said; however, it was weak and no louder than a whisper.

The stranger smiled. "No need to thank me, Little one. I did what any person should have done. There is no need to be scared, okay?"

Kara smiled even more.

"Do you wish to inform me who you are? It's not every day that I meet a new child inside the palace."

Kara blushed. But then she remembered Nico and Oron explained how to properly greet an adult:

She nodded her head firmly and softly said, "Hi."

The woman at first only stared at Kara until a soft smile snuck onto the her lips. "Are you the girl Nicholas met at his school?"

Kara nodded. "Yeah. How did you know that?"

"That's not exactly how you would greet me," the woman admitted. "Regardless, I'm aware that you likely know nothing about the customs. Tell me, was it the unusual magic this place holds which overwhelmed you?"

Kara gave a weak nod. "Amongst other things, yes. But, I'm pretty sure Oron said when meeting an adult you typically nod your head?"

"Indeed, if said adult has no high ranking title," the woman clarified. "Which I do"

Frowning, the teenager studied the woman in front of her. She was clothed in a deep purple dress, with golden details all over it.

Kara stared at her until something clicked.

It hit her like a punch to the gut.

She hadn't been paying attention to the woman's appearance, but now that she did...

"But, skip the formalities, they frustrate me. My name is Kyira," the woman introduced herself.

Kara stared at her with noticeable shock.

Kyira frowned. "What's your name?"

The teen's voice was small and fragile. "Kara..."

Kyira's facial expression morphed into one filled with grief. "A beautiful name."

"...Ariak."

Kyira gaped at Kara's words, processing her newfound knowledge, slowly.

"How old are you?"

"Twelve, I'll be thirteen on the 27th of November."

"But—" Kyira went into absolute denial.

"Kara died. Ho-how are you alive? This...no. Who are you?"