Lonely House

"I'm so glad you're safe." The nymph's voice was thunderous. A lowly sound that lingered. A rumble in the dry air, like stones falling from a mountain. He had the opposite figure to his son: wide, tall and buff. His stature, a competition to mine.

The nymph in the machine unbuckled himself out of it, and climbed out, landing with a stomp on the ground. He crouched to his daughter, and hugged her tightly, making her almost invisible to our eyes in his embrace.

"Where's Keesh? Where's your brother?" He repeatedly asked Alimma.

I could only stare into his confused soul. I killed his son and I had to tell him. I could've tried harder. I could've tried something else. A potion, another spell, Ring and Giang, but no. I froze in the moment, and I watched him die. It hurt my soul every time I thought about the people I've simply let wither away in my arms. If only I could bring back Yelikith and Keesh.

Alimma told her father who we were, and how we tried to save her brother. Her father stood up tall and stepped to me, a menace in height. Softly, he took my hand in his, and kissed it.

"I am thankful to you for keeping my daughter safe, and for trying to save my son," he caressed my hand, "Alimma told me you tried your best. And it shows in your face."

Something in my gut stopped me from answering what I wanted to say. I swear I wanted to save him. Maybe if I focused more on the spell. I don't deserve your gratitude, "I- I tried," a whisper showered in guilt.

"Please, call me Karpos," he gave me a sad smile, "As a token of my gratitude, I'd like to invite you to our camp in the yellow sector. You will be safe there."

"Je Karpos, we appreciate your offer, but we have somewhere to be as soon as possible," I said, secretly wanting to get away from him before I confessed. When I saw Je Karpos's face, I saw Jee Keesh. I saw the way he looked at me before he died. How all the hope drained from his eyes. How he lost it all, and fell in silence, "However, we are looking for a safe place for the duchess of Damerel, who is paralyzed from the waist down."

"We can gather more supplies if we go along too, Solidare," Twyla added.

"What about our mounts? I'm not leaving Kaoni in a musty shed in some rando's backyard. She's expensive," Icarus interjected.

"Kaoni's huge and scary. As well as our other mounts. I think they could defend themselves until we get back," Morgan answered, "We can make it quick. We don't have any food."

"Okay, quick," I said, "Children first and then the duchess."

"There's a tunnel under the ruins of the chapel. It's half an hour until I come back. Stay in there," Je Karpos said, taking Phaedra and Alimma inside the machine.

The machine broke into the air with a fierce boom, and disappeared into The Skies. I decided to go last as a sacrifice for my companions. I didn't feel like I had been the best leader to them so far, and being in this suffocating tunnel was the least I could do to repay them.

It felt ill down there, like I was back in my house. The same brick walls on the way to the third floor. I remember how I collected the books. I'd get off work early to meet with relatives of a follower of Amelia, a possible chosen one, terrified that their loved one would end up in my journey. I guaranteed to them that they'll never see the book, or me, again, and added it to my collection. That dreaded staircase; it'd be a place i'd kill myself.

"If you don't mind me asking, Icarus," Morgan said, after a long silence, "What is that?" she pointed at the weird veins coming out from his hand.

"It's a long story," there was a period of silence. He looked at his mother, who sat next to him, waiting for approval to tel his story.

"We have time," Morgan finally said.