Chapter 6 :- Ash's Pov : The Trials, Part 2

My jaw trembled as I firmly kept my hand over my mouth, trying to force my tears in. How could I be so stupid? Ofcourse Theo doesn't want to see me.

We were best friends at one point, that is before he came of age.

Odalia's son doesn't have magic.

Odalia's son is a curse, don't go near him!

The rumours about my brother spread around like wildfire, creating hatred in my mother's eyes. She valued her reputation over her own children.

Theo never showed sadness. Instead, he clenched his teeth and forced a smile. Nobody noticed his pain. I did. Yet I did nothing about it. I resent myself for not standing up for him, for pushing him away at times, for letting him run away. Maybe if I had been there for him, he wouldn't have run away. Maybe he wouldn't hate me.

I snapped out of my thoughts and forced myself to look at him. His eyes are cold and firm, but I can still see the vibrant child he once was within them.

***

"Not for free, of course"

"What do you want?" Artina snarled, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Your life...perhaps?"

"Try me" Artina smirked as she ran her fingertips along her sword's blade.

"I wouldn't be so confident" he grinned, sticking his fingers in his mouth and blowing a whistle.

"To have the flower, you will have to endure trials, and this is one of them."

The garden resounded with a growl, a shrill ran down my spine. That is awfully familiar.

The creature rose from the shadows, it's eyes glowing blue and it's face looking as if it's been melted off.

I froze and panic swept through my body like an electric current. I've dealt with these creatures' species back in the mountains, and let's just say they aren't friendly.

The creature lunged at Kio, grabbing him by the collar with its mouth. He shrieked as the creature dug its teeth deep into his neck.

My brain screamed at me to run away, to save my own blood. I slapped myself for having such a selfish thought. When did I become this way?.

I prepared to plunge at the creature's back, it's only weak spot, the only way it can be killed.

Artina sprinted towards them before I could stop her. She swung her sword at it and to her dismay the creature dodged it.

"DON'T! THAT'LL ONLY ENRAGE THE CREATURE MORE!" I yelled, snapping my fingers and making myself levitate. I flew towards it, going under it's legs and behind it's back.

"Don't let her come near you!" Theo snapped at the creature. It swished around and swung it's arm at my neck, nearly missing. One hit and it would rip my throat out.

"Let. Kio. Go." Ren's voice rang throughout the garden as his eyes grew cold and his jaw clenched. I didn't recognise that tone in his voice, he always spoke so softly.

He flung his sword at the creature and it pierced through it's back. It's eyes turned dark and blood trickled down it's leg like a waterfall. The creature dropped Kio and fell on its face, dead.

I ran towards Kio, dragging him away from the scene. His face turned pale and his body trembled. I don't blame him.

"Are you okay?" Ren asked, his voice turning soft again.

Kio didn't respond but threw himself at Ren, tackling him into a hug.

"Hey, it's okay. You're okay, I've got you" Ren whispered as he cradled him in his arms.

Theo cleared his throat loudly. "Sorry to disturb but you've still got a trial left"

"You." Ren let go of Kio and flounced towards my brother, pulling him by the collar. "A fucking mountain Truake as a trial? Do you really think I didn't know what it was?" he paused, throwing Theo back. "Your trials are rigged, you were just trying to ensure our demise."

"I would appreciate it if you didn't throw around accusations against me, prince. I'm only following orders"

"SHUT UP!" I yelled at them, my ears suddenly pricked up. A weird sound came from my right, sticks crunching?

"Did you hear tha-"

SWISH. An arrow suddenly flew inches away from my face. Artina screamed, I turned around to find the arrow embedded into her right eye.

"ARTINA!" A voice cried, a tall blond figure appeared from the bushes and rushed towards her. Zander.

She fell on her knees, her fingers clasped the arrow. Despite being in so much pain, she hit a blow to Zander's jaw. "Stay the fuck away from me"

Blood boiled through my nerves and my hands clenched into fists but I calmed myself down. Not now, Artina needs us.

"It's okay, I can help" I said, kneeling in front of her.

"I have the supplies at home. "If we take the carriage, it'll be too late," I explained, gently pulling the arrow out and earning a hiss from Artina.

I tore a piece of my clock and tied it around her eye. "I'll teleport with her"

"Are you crazy!? That's too dangerous!"

"I don't believe you have the right to speak here, Zander. One more word from your mouth and I'll turn you inside out"

"I'll be fine" Artina forced a smile at Ren. "Don't worry, Ren"

I got up and gently pushed the others away, to clear the way for the teleportation process.

"Stay back"

I traced my finger against the muddy garden floor, creating a circle around me and Artina. I wiped my hand on my shirt and closed my eyes. I took a deep breath and started reciting the spell. This could go horribly wrong.