Chapter 1 : Ren's Pov : A Depressing Discovery

I sat on my crusty wooden desk, piles of parchment lay strewed around me. Crabbed handwriting scribbled throughout. My eyes started watering and stinging with pain...I've been up for too long. I took off my glasses and set them aside, massaging my eyes.

As I read the blueprint my lips curved into a small smile. Months of my hard work finally started to pay off.

I rose from my chair and walked towards the window. Admiring The stars that decorated the night sky. I blew a small whistle. Queen, my phoenix arose from the depths of the night and landed on my bed with a soft thud. I picked Queen up and gently stroked her beautiful golden feathers.

She has been my companion ever since I was a child, even though having phoenixes as pets was illegal around that time. I still remember, when my mother found out and threatened to throw me in the dungeons

"Are you hungry, love?" I asked, petting her head. She cooed, pecking my hand in response. I couldn't help but smile.

I took Queen towards her cage and settled her inside. At once she started attacking the dead rat I placed there.

I glanced at her one last time, before sauntering out of the room, making my way to the Council Room where my mother sat.

My mother was an unfavorable person. My projects were never of any interest to her. She thought they were useless, but I'm only trying to help the Empire with its problems. It was always my older brother she fancied more. He does the least despite being the heir to the throne.

As I turned towards the council room door, I heard my mother and someone who sounded like my guard talking in whispers. I was about to leave when something caught my attention.

"PLEASE UNDERSTAND, YOUR MAJESTY", Artina's voice rang throughout the hall.

Artina was the only one who could get away with talking to my mother like that.

She cherished her as if she were her own daughter, never opposing anything she said.

As I leaned against the door, I peered into the keyhole trying to find out what was going on. The door suddenly swung open, causing me to fall. Artina yelped in surprise when she saw me on the floor. "Are you okay?" She asked, pulling me up. "Never better," I said, winking at her. Rolling her eyes, she began walking away, mouthing "Duties".

I pushed the door open again and made my way into the room.

My mother sat at her desk scribbling something on a piece of parchment.

"Your Majesty?" I called out. She hummed in response.

"I have something to show you"

Her eyes shot up from her desk peering through my soul, raising an eyebrow she said "Go ahead"

As I slid the blueprint towards her, my heart pounded loudly and swirls formed in my stomach.

"This is the latest project I'm working on, I'm convinced it will solve-" I haven't been able to finish before she interrupts me. "Ren, What about spending more time studying rather than coming up with these useless concepts?". My heart sank, falling onto it's knees.

"But Your Majesty, you didn't even take a look"

She slammed her hands against the table causing me to flinch.

"If you are going to waste my time like this, then I would suggest you leave" she said gesturing towards the door.

It seems a bit unfair for you to not give me a chance to prove myself, were the words I tried to say, but they didn't come out. So I grabbed my print and headed towards the door instead.