Chapter 2 : Kio's Pov : The Run-Away Slave

The guard slammed my head against the brick wall as blood trickled down from the side, causing shooting pain in my head. In a brief glance, I saw my twin, Sky desperately shrieking and clawing at the guards, trying to get them off me.

STOP! RUNAWAY, I'll be fine, were the words I tried to shout but couldn't.

They tightened the slave collar around me, causing my skin to rip as they twisted it ; sending stabs of pain piercing through my body. Gasping for air, I fell to my knees.

A crowd gathered around us, but no one stepped forward to help.

They shoved me towards a wooden cart, which I recognized immediately. I screamed, trying to push the guards out of my way. It's useless, but I don't have a choice. If they send me to the Central Jail, I'll never see the sun again, I'll never see Sky again.

*Thunk* My head started throbbing as the world flashed before my eyes, an intense ringing filled my ears before darkness enveloped me.

***

I was jarred awake by the sound of slamming doors. Did the guard leave after checking on me?. I tried to sit up, but the pain in my neck and the weakness in my shoulders made it impossible.

"Hang in there, I'll get you out"

As I looked up, I saw a boy peering into the cell, with a soft smile on his face, eyes glimmering luminescent.

I found myself getting lost in them for a moment before I forced myself to come back to reality. However enticing, how calming his eyes may be, I simply cannot lose myself in them. He's one of them. They're all the same.

What does he mean by 'get you out'? Do they plan on selling me? Are they transferring me to the...execution cell?

Why would they want to transfer me without torturing me first?

I wasn't brave enough to ask him.

My eyes fell upon the blue badge on his coat, it looked somewhat familiar. He followed my gaze and pulled the clock into view.

"The royalty badge"

It took me a good minute to realise what it meant..my eyes widening when I did. He's the prince...

Why would the prince show interest in me? Am I being shifted to the castle dungeons? The thought made me nauseous.

The door suddenly swung open and two guards stepped inside, talking in an uncertain manner.

"Do you really want to move him, Artina?" the guard asked, fidgeting with his pockets.

"Yes, Rodger"

Rodger pushed the boy aside, reaching for the cell door. My heart pounded when he smirked at me before turning the key. That was the moment I knew I was in serious trouble.

He yanked my collar chain, giving it to the taller guard.

"Keep an eye on him, a feisty one he is."

"Ren, here" she said, handing it to Ren before heading out.

Following her, he tugged gently on the chain behind him. I did not expect that. Why is he being so considerate?

Come on, hurry up!" Artina hissed as she walked toward the carriage.

***

As we entered the castle grounds, Artina freed me from my slave collar and clasped slave cuffs around my wrist instead. Marking me a normal newly purchased slave.

"If you try to run away, it'll be your last day on Earth," she threatened, opening the carriage door.

A white castle stood in the middle of the grassy field. Trees surrounded the enchanting structure. It illuminated the night beautifully.

Ren, go now, I'll keep watch," Artina said, softly pushing him.

Ren led me across the huge garden, looking behind him anxiously.

He took me behind the castle and halted when we reached the small wooden door.

"This is the slave's quarter," he said, shoving me inside and followed behind after.

My eyes scanned the room. The quarter was very small. The low roof caused the prince to stand slightly slouched.

His hand extended towards a stool as he gestured for me to sit. After a few moments, I sat down, trying not to stare at him.

"What's your name?"

"Kio"

He handed me a glass filled with some sort of liquid and said, "That's a nice name.".

After noticing that I was staring at him, he murmured, "Don't worry, it's just water."

I hesitated, but thirst overtook me and I took a sip. It was just water. That's odd.

When I saw him walking towards me, I couldn't help but flinch and cover my head with my hands.

He sat down next to me, "I won't hurt you," he said gently. "Let me see your neck"

His touch was gentler than I anticipated, his fingers carefully examining the bruise the slave collar had given me.

"This looks bad," he muttered.

"Maybe Ash can help," he said to himself, wrapping a piece of cloth around my neck.

Once I had gathered enough courage, I asked, "You mean the sorceress?"

"Yeah the one and only"

Ash is by far the most powerful sorceress in the Western Kingdom. Getting a hold of her is extremely difficult since she lives in the mountains. Rumors abound that she ascends from the mountains every year, but she hasn't been seen by anyone.

I was thrown back to earth after he tightened the cloth. I hissed, trying to pull his arm away.

He pulled back saying, "I'll be back, don't move an inch". And with that he went out the door we entered through earlier.