Chapter 8 : Ren's Pov : Artina

"Ren Zhao."Her voice echoed. My mother stood at the entrance of my room, her eyebrows furrowed.

My stomach stirred. My mother never visits me in my room.

"Have you seen Artina?"

I gulped. "No."

"Alva said she saw you both earlier. Care to explain?"

Shit. My heart thumped in my chest, my throat ran dry. I'll have to pick my words carefully.

"I saw her in the morning. I had to ask her to postpone our next training session."

"You're planning to skip training now?"

I stayed silent. 

She glared at me and then sighed. "I'll have her give you extra lessons. She's being too soft with you."

Her eyes trailed to my closet door, which was slightly open. She raised her eyebrow at me before yanking the door open to reveal nothing but my dull wardrobe. What is she doing?

I wouldn't hide if I were you." She said calmly.

"Do you think I'm hiding someone?"

She turned to me. "Artina, perhaps?"

Before I could answer, she spoke again. "Do you have a reason to be awake at this hour? Your hair is a mess and you look like you've seen a spirit of my mother." 

She poked around the curtains. "Wandering around in the hallways like lost souls. Skipping training?" She chuckled dryly.

"These are things I've done, boy. I know what you're up to."

"You have it all wrong." I said, my heart still racing. She's inches away from the drapes.

"I don't like Artina. She's like a sister to me."

Her eyes scanned the room, searching for something that's not there. "Very well, then."

She paused at the door, looking at me over her shoulder. "It seems your brother has taken a liking to her. Don't ruin it like your father back when we were kids."

My head snapped up to look at her. Her eyes widened for a moment and she shook her head. "What do you mea-"

"Quiet, not another word about this." And she walked out with that.

My mind started racing. What does she mean by that? What does father have to do with any of this?

"P-prince Ren?" His quivering voice jerked me back.

"You can come out now. It's safe."

Kio crawled out. His frail body was trembling. He wrapped his hands around himself and inhaled sharply. I was at his side in an instant.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah- just that reminded me of Master and some of his cruel punishments. I almost travelled back there."

My heart went heavy at his words. "I'm so sorry, Kio" I pulled him into an embrace. "It's okay, you're safe now."

"But my twin, Sky, isn't." His voice cracked. I felt my shirt getting wet. I hugged him tighter. My