Chapter Five > P O I S O N

Authors note- tw! torture <3

My brain is running on overdrive right now.

The Unbroken ships

Kals sister

Fins exosuit

Nonononono

I turn my head and look at Scarlett, but she's looking at her twin, and they seem to be having some kind of conversation with their eyes.

After a moment, she notices me and rests a hand on my knee, giving me a sweet smile, "Keep calm, fly girl. The last thing we need is our pilot going all panicky."

Her hand placement is safe and cautious, but I still look down at it, bewildered.

It's not uncomfortable, for once

I thumb my golden compact from the pocket of my pants and take a deep breath, calming myself before looking at Tyler for directions.

There is so much happening right now, between the five-way conversation/argument happening on the comms, and the panicked pleading coming from Aurora. I just focus on holding the ship still and waiting for orders.

But then the shot happens.

We all hear it over the comms, the all-too-familiar sound of a disruptor pistol set to Kill.

My heart skips at least three beats, ruining the fragile state of calm I just managed to capture.

A moment of silence.

"Finian, report!" Tyler finally shouts.

My grip tightens on my compact.

"Fin, what happened?" Aurora cries.

Finian's voice was barely a whisper, "Kals hit."

"Fin, no,"

My heart skips at least three beats.

"Finian, status!"

My hand is starting to cramp from my compact.

"Fin, what's happening?" Aurora tries again.

"It's okay," Finian says, voice shaking, "He's okay...."

"Thank the Maker" I whisper

_____

Five minutes later, we're all standing in zeros loading bay, preparing to board the Andarael.

"Well, here goes," I say, and watch Tyler hit the release button. We descend down the ramp and onto the Andarael's deck.

Syldrathi are no question, the most gorgeous species to exist. But Kaliis' infamous sister, whom I have not met until just now, is undeniably the most gorgeous creature I have ever seen. Her legs are endless, her curves are mesmerizing, her smooth, olive skin flows like water. Saedii is hauntingly beautiful.

I am mesmerized by her striking purple eyes, and the razor-sharp sound of her voice as she says, "Welcome to the Andarael, Human filth."

Before any of us can react, Saedii fires her agonizer right at Aurora. Her tiny frame hits the ground with a sickening thud, and her screams echo through the bay while she thrashes in agony.

I charge at her, muttering "You crazy-" but I am pursued by five other Slydrathi. Saedii grabs me by my throat and squeezes, hard enough to cut off my airways, and effortlessly lifts me off the floor. I thrash, clawing at her hand, but she just digs her sharp black nails into my neck, hard enough to draw blood.