05. MISERABLE ROADS

CONTROL

CHAPTER FIVE: MISERABLE ROADS

SAM stared across the table at Elana, why was she even awake?

"I'm not a liability." he spoke watching as she turned to the next page of her book, she let a sigh fall from her lips before once again setting the book down.

"Sam," she began, "word travels fast, from hunter to hunter, and there are quite a few stories out there about you and your brother."

She paused for a moment as if weighing her words, "stories I know are true."

He shook his head from his seat as he leaned back, "you don't know shit."

Elana feigned fake surprise, "wow, big words for a little boy."

Sam was glaring at this point, and it was directed at her, she couldn't help but offer him a small, fake upturn of her lips, "you gonna cry Samuel? Go on, cry."

"You're an ass, you know that?"

Elana smiled at the remark, "I do know that, but thank you for reminding me." and with that, she picked up her book and continued to read. Sam, however, got up from his seat with an exaggerated huff leaving his lips before he climbed back into bed and drew the covers tight over him.

When he woke the next morning, he found that Elana had found her way back to her bed and the covers were halfway drawn over her, he frowned as he sat up in bed.

Glancing to the empty spot beside him in the bed, he quickly realized Dean was in the bathroom. He rubbed his eyes for a moment before he pushed his legs out from under the covers and let them hover over the edge of the bed. He wanted to go back to bed, so badly, but he knew that they had to get going soon and that Dean would go as far as dumping ice water on him to wake him up, just for his own amusement.

He looked over to where Elana laid once more and found his expression softening for a few seconds, she looked so peaceful, so harmless when she slept, but he knew what she was like awake, Dean did too. And from what Avanna had told him, there were times when she was worse.

Frowning, he turned away and stood up- quickly adjusting his shorts- before he moved to grab his laptop from the bag at the footboard of the bed, it wasn't there.

Glancing around him, he was unable to locate it, which was odd, seeing as he remembered bringing it into the motel room.

Then a grimace passed his lips and he made his way over to the bathroom door. He knocked three times, softly enough that he wouldn't wake the girls, but loud enough that Dean would hear him, "dude, do you have my laptop?"

He heard a scoff from the other side of the bathroom door and furrowed his brows, "no... I don't."

Sam sighed, "Dean you're a horrible liar, give me back my laptop."