01. HALF DRAWN

CONTROL

CHAPTER ONE: HALF DRAWN

BLOOD.

The smell hung in the air much like fog on any cold morning would, and somehow it was just as natural to the two girls as the moonlight that shone down on their covered shoulders.

Elana had taken the precaution of keeping Avanna beside her, the last thing she needed to worry about was the girl getting bitten. If she was as close as possible- and still within her peripheral vision- she could at least prevent the girl from being bitten.

But they had long since finished, now they were seated in the eldest sister's car who was sipping liquor that she'd purchased earlier in the day to try and numb the headache that was eating away at her head, lord knew it would only worsen when she woke up.

Avanna absently stared at the dashboard her hands still coated in the blood of the creatures they'd left dead in their wake, she was too lost in thought to have even considered cleaning her hands, which she probably should've done the second they'd finished off the nest.

Paying her sister a half glance, she offered a look of clear distaste before reaching over her seat to grab one of the many towels in the back of the car. The last thing she wanted was for her to bloody up her nice seats.

Setting the bottle of liquor in between her thighs, it only took the girl a few moments to grab her sister's hands and begin wiping them off, while she scrubbed at the girl's blood-caked skin she thought of the case as a whole.

She'd been hoping they would get some variety in creatures and yet for the last few weeks all they'd been wiping out was vampires, vampires, and more vampires.

It was starting to feel like clockwork.

"Mr. Singer lives here." Avanna stated looking up from the dash to meet her sister's stare.

Neither of them spoke for several moments before the older girl shook her head, "you mean Bobby?" she questioned letting her focus return to her sister's hands.

"Yeah, when we were doing research I saw his name in one of the archives, I should've recognized the town to begin with, but it feels like it's been forever."

Elana let out a sigh, the last thing she'd pictured doing after they solved the case was going to visit people, but for Bobby, she could make an exception.

She hadn't seen him in years, in fact, she was going on just about four years without a single word being slipped in his direction.

A twinge of guilt knicked at her heart as she finished cleaning the younger girls hands, she hadn't meant to ignore him for so long, she'd just been... busy.

And she was sure he would understand how she'd tried to prioritize the lives of many over simply sitting down to drink a beer and chat.

Handing the towel off to her sister, she jabbed a finger in the direction of the passenger window, she didn't want the thing stinking up her car, plus, by keeping it inside, they ran the risk of getting infected in the future, which wasn't something either of them wanted to have to worry about.