Chapter 16

Abiteth's phone buzzed between her breasts.

"Did you like the movie?" Evette asked teasingly, leaning against Abiteth.

"I guess," Abiteth huffed, bumping her friend with her hip, "let me wash the dishes in peace!"

"No!! I'm gonna' wash them!!" Evette shoved her hands into the water, scrubbing aggressively. Abiteth had no choice but to remove herself from the small kitchen. There was a mess on the kitchen island, so Abiteth set about cleaning that up instead.

Dabi joined her after a moment, bracing his arms against the island as he leaned forward - an action she did her best to ignore, "yes, D?"

"What got you so mad anyway? You never told me."

"Dabs no!! We were trying to distract her, remember!?"

Dabi ignored Evette, watching Abiteth expectantly. She sighed heavily, "work."

"That's it?" he sounded annoyed. Abiteth met his gaze, her eyes narrowed.

"Sometimes, working with other heroes is difficult for me. Our goals don't align. They want to take out villains, and I want to help," she pushed away from the island, feeling Dabi's gaze on her as she moved, "it's a clash of ideologies."

'I'm not going to get started on what happened after,' she leaned against the island next to Dabi, pressing her arm against his. He didn't move, 'that'll just make me mad again.'

"Maybe you'll get the full story one day," she chirped.

Dabi scoffed, shaking his head, "maybe huh?"

"Mm-hm. You also never tell me what you get up to during the day, so..."

"Nothing interesting, princess~" Dabi purred. His body tilted toward her, pressing their arms harder together, "I promise it's not illegal~"

"That is a lie," she retorted, a giggle bubbling past her lips. Dabi's eyes brightened, lit from an internal source.

"You can't prove that."

"You're imposing yourself into my space, which implies that you're trying to distract me from your words," Abiteth countered, pushing back. There was a challenge in Dabi's eyes, and she persisted, "so I could prove that, actually."

Hiro and Evette's background snickering was not helping matters.

To Abiteth's surprise, Dabi turned toward her. She nearly slipped into his chest as a result, steadying herself at the last second.

"That doesn't prove anything," he again leaned into her space. Abiteth leaned away, pursing her lips.

"Mm-hm, and that's why you keep invading my space - and 'princess', really? Had to pull out a new nickname too, huh, general?"

Dabi smiled, running his tongue over his teeth - an action that her eyes followed despite her internal pleas that she not.

"Alright, princess. I see your point."

"As you should," she chirped, hand dipping into her shirt to pull out her phone.

[From Spicy:
GOOD TO KNOW THERE'S A BRO THERE TAKING CARE OF MY SWEETNESS 😤]

Her heart dropped into her stomach, 'how...?'

Maybe Hiro had told Greyve they were watching Jurassic Park, and Greyve knew that Abiteth wasn't the biggest fan of movies with over exaggerated depictions of gore and violence, 'maybe Greyve is just glad that there was someone else here to keep an eye on me.'