Nightfall

“Where would we even stay?” Ukeo climbed up a tree, taking her spear out of her backpack, “Let's just kill them.”

“From what I heard about Kipo, she really wouldn’t like it if you killed some cats that she just met.” Kaily said, scratching her head, “Besides, the Timbercats will probably have a change of heart.”

“Sure.” Ukeo muttered, “Cats that kidnap are sure to change their ways.” She stared at them, “I swear I could just kill them right here and now.”

“Ukeo?” Kaily said slowly, “What happened to your arms?”

“My arms? WAH!” Her arms had turned into paws again, and she fell backward out of the tree, “Go away.” She stomped on her hand, “Ow!” Her last resort was to just smack it. Finally, it went away.

Kaily stared at Ukeo, “What was that?”

“Oh, I may or may not be turning into a mega-tiger,” Ukeo said. Kaily looked terrified, “Don’t worry, it’s not like I’d kill you or anything.” She figured that Kaily would just run away or something. “So, you’re still here?”

“Well, of course, I’m still here! That’s awesome! But, why would it happen now? Why not later?” Kaily seemed to be asking herself questions.

"Well, maybe it’s because my birthday was a few days ago.” She had assumed this the first time she had ever had the fur on her arms in the first place, “I think it’s going to continue to come more and more until I’m able to fully turn into a mega-mute.”

“Will you be able to turn back?” Kaily looked a little worried, “Do you need an anchor or something?” She began to get more concerned, “I don’t really know these things. I haven’t exactly had a mega-mute as my friend.”

“I have.” Ukeo said, “The mega-monkey must count as my friend, and Hunter is just a regular fox, but maybe he has some sort of powers. Who knows.”

“Wait. You said your birthday is in a few days? I haven't gotten you anything!” Kaily sat down, “I’m a bad friend.”

“You’re not a bad friend.” She said, “I didn’t tell you.”

She sighed, “Your burrow is ruined. Where are you going to go now?”

“Wait, the bunker!” Ukeo yelled and slid down, running across the debris. She dug under a couple of rocks, opening a door that had been closed.

“They must have escaped!” She said,
“Look, there’s a tunnel! There must be another burrow! Dad would never leave without giving us clues!”

“Ukeo, look.” Kaily sighed, “Your dad… He might have been captured. He might be…” She paused.

“Dead?” Ukeo turned around, “I refuse to believe that.” She climbed up the rocks, “Come on!”

“Oh my God.” She muttered, climbing up the rocks, “I swear I’m going to become a rubber band by climbing up these rocks.”

“Not before I become a mute,” Ukeo said, putting her hand down to pick up Hunter and then putting her hand down again for Kaily.

“I was joking.” She said, taking her hand to be pulled up, “I don’t know how we’re going to get your sister back. And we still need the anchor…”

“We can get Kipo back once I turn into a mega mute,” Ukeo said.

“But… Again, you might not be able to get back into your human form.” Kaily began walking.

“Well, an anchor? Like something that’s emotional to me? I guess dad? Or Kipo?” Ukeo walked beside her, their footsteps in sync, “Or both?”

“What about your mom? She could be something emotional to you.” She said, looking up at the sun, “It did not take long for Kipo to get captured.”

“We do not speak about my mom. (We don't talk about brunoo~ sorry, had to say it)” She glanced up too, “Wow, yeah. I didn’t realize.”

“Okay, well, what would Kipo be doing right now?” Kaily stopped and leaned against a tall tree, “I mean, with the Timbercats?”

“Probably singing a song about their leader.” Ukeo snorted, “Who’s stuck up in a tree.”

“Well… Yumyan did get stuck in a tree.” Kaily said.

“Most likely planning her escape.” She continued, “Putting fur in pancakes.” Ukeo laughed. “Come on, it’s almost night. We’d better get going.”

“Agreed.” Kaily picked up Hunter, walking over to a hollow tree, “How about over here? It’s a great shelter, and it’s a tree and a cave in one!”

Ukeo sighed, “I guess it’s fine. It qualifies as a cave.” She grabbed a palm leaf and lay it across the mouth of the tree-den, crawling inside. She sat down, “Hunter, you know the drill.”

Hunter nodded, running out of the den.

Ukeo sighed, “I’ve caught up on what makes the… fur… come out.” She looked at her hands, “It’s usually a fight or flight response. Usually, I go into a fight mode, making the fur come out to help protect me.”

“That makes sense.” Kaily said, “So, you’d be able to control when it comes out?”

“If I’m able to control my fight or flight, then yes.” She put her hand to her side, “It would take some time, though.” She leaned against the wall of the tree-cave.

“Well, duh. Nothing ever comes easily.” Kaily sighed, “When is Hunter going to get back?”

“Hopefully soon,” Ukeo muttered.