Chapter V: Violet Roses or Nightshades

Aerina thinks to herself, "After Jerick made his declaration about leaving my house I was in utter shock. I never would have guessed he would have left in order to salvage our friendship at the cost of his feelings towards my mom. When my dad died, I was a little girl and my mom never cried, not even at the funeral. But here she is on the floor crying. I guess I could never understand what it feels like to love someone so much it hurts like that."

"I mean, my chest is in a knot and I'm sitting on the stairs crying, but not for the same reasons my mom is. I ask myself, what have I done?"

Some time afterward

"I swear that boy is hard to find." "Wait, is that alcohol and blood I smell?" Asks Marko quietly. Jerick struggles to ask "Ma... Marko?" "Is... Is that you?" "Yeah, it's me." "What happened to you?" Asks Marko worriedly. "I... I got jumped by some drunks." "One pulled a knife on me," I say through tight breaths. "That's why I smelt blood." "It sounds like one or more of your ribs are broken, can you move?" Asks Marko with concern. "I might." "Do you have something... I can bite... so I don't scream?" I ask through heavy breaths.

"Hold on." "Here's my jacket." Says Marko with anxiety. "Ready?" I ask, biting the jacket. Marko Counts "Three." "Two." "One." "I hope... It's better than... it looks." I say blacking out. Marko Shivers saying "Kayle's going to go berserk seeing him like this."

Nora's living room

Nora thinks to herself "Usually when Jerick says he'll do something he does. It's rare he half-asses anything unless it's something he finds boring. I've known Aerina and Jerick for a long while now, and they've always managed to fix things between them. I wonder if it's the same this time too? Thinking of which he was supposed to have called. I should call Aerina."

Nora says on the phone "Hey Aerina, it's Nora, sorry to call so late." "It's fine, what's up?" Replies Aerina with a stuffy nose. "I know this might be a bad time, but has Jerick called at all?" Nora asks in a worried tone. "Not since he left a few hours ago, why?" Asks Aerina with a concerned tone. "Well, he told me he'd let me know he was okay and I haven't heard from him." "Which isn't like him at all." Says Nora. "I'll let you know if I do though okay?" "I don't want to upset my mom any more than she already is." "I just got her to her room." Says Aerina in a quiet voice. "Same for me." "I have a couple of people I know who might have an idea." Says Nora doubtfully.

Marko's house

Marko says to himself "It's better for everyone that I bring him here. It's a good thing I was a doctor, if not he wouldn't see tomorrow. I swear his will is the only thing that kept him conscious. Considering he has three broken ribs and one cracked in two places. Any normal person wouldn't have been able to do that."

Marko thinks to himself "Someone's calling at this hour?"

"Hey Marko, I know it's late and I'm sorry to bother you." Says Nora. "What do you need Nora, I'm preoccupied at the moment." Says Marko bitingly. "Geez, what has your fur ruffled?" "I wanted to know if you've heard or seen Jerick." Asks Nora testingly. "Come to my house right now and tell no one, understood?" Barks Marko. "I see." "So, it's started?" "I'll be right over." Says Nora hurriedly.

Sometime later

Nora asks in shock "Could you please explain what happened?" "From what he was able to tell me before blacking out?" Asks Marko. "Yeah." Replies Nora. "After he left Aerina's he went to the park, heading towards the pond when a group of drunks decided to start a fight." "Considering the odds against him he won," Marko says staring off. "Marko?" Asks Nora impatiently. Marko continues "One of them pulled a knife on him and in the end got stabbed." "If I was able to guess it was in the shoulder."

"Why the shoulder, and how did he get hurt so bad?" Asks Nora. "Stab someone in the shoulder and they can't use that arm, as to how he got broken ribs; he had to have been held and hit a good number of times." Says Marko. "Even after that, he fought them off?" Asks Nora in shock. "Yes." "I know it's hard to believe but the evidence is apparent." Says Marko with a smirk. "I know that look Marko and I don't like it one bit." Says Nora distastefully. "You know where I need you to go." Says Marko Pretending not to notice. "Fine!" "You win." "If she bites me, you're dead." Says Nora frustratingly.

Kayle's House

Kayle thinks to herself "It seems like Marko found him. The shaking stopped and I'm not crying. Well, if my hair color was noticeably different before it's even more so now. It looks like I can't hide it now. It's like asking if he prefers Violet roses or Nightshades. Is that Marko, better get myself together."

"Give me a second, I'll be right there." Says Kayle whipping away the dried blood from her cheek. "I see you're back to normal." Says Nora worriedly. "If you consider seeing someone with ruby-colored eyes and platinum-colored hair normal, then yes." Says Kayle sadly. "You know why I'm here I take it?" Asks Nora. "Marko?" Replies Kayle. "Yeah." "No pun towards you, but I told him if you bit me I'd kill him." Says Nora with a smile. Kayle laughs and says "Shows how much faith you have in me." Nora grins and says "I've seen what can happen when sudden transformations happen."

Kayle asks with worry "How's Jerick doing?" "Before I answer that, do you think you'll change again?" Asks Nora skeptically. "I can't promise I won't, but I'll try." Replies Kayle. Nora sadly says "Jerick has three broken ribs and a cracked rib that's cracked in two places." "Nora, thanks for telling me." Says Kayle through clenched teeth. "Kayle, look at me." "It won't help him heal any faster if you lose control." "Close your eyes and take deep breaths." Says Nora calmly. "Right." "Deep breaths." Says Kayle shuddering.

Aerina's room

Aerina thinks to herself "No one has heard from Jerick since he left here. I just hope he's okay. It is out of character for him not to get in touch with someone, even when he's mad or upset. Maybe I should go look for him. It's not doing me any good just sitting here dwelling on what could or couldn't have happened.