Chapter VIII: Once Was

Several Months Later

"Jerick, are you ready to go?" Asks Kayle nervously. "Why are you so nervous?" "I'm the one graduating." Says Jerick jokingly. "I know, I know." "But still." Says Kayle lowering her head "Don't worry, I know she'll be there." Jerick says reassuringly. "Nora you look as frivolous as ever." Says Marko while laughing. "Is that supposed to be a compliment or an insult?" Asks Nora looking over her book. "Neither, or both." Says Marko smirking. "Are we all ready to go?" Asks everyone.

Auditorium

"Man, there are more people here than I thought." Says Kayle bewildered. "It is a Fine Arts College after all." Says Nora from behind us. "You're the valedictorian for our department aren't you Nora?" Jerick asks curiously. "I am." Says Nora, looking over her book once more. "Well, I guess we'll find our seats." "Good luck Nora." Says Kayle waving her hand. "You're hiding it better than I thought you would." Says Nora closing her book. "So you noticed?" Jerick asks suspiciously. "Ever since Kayle mentioned her." "You had a slight twitch in your jaw and your hand." Says Nora.

"I'll manage." Says Jerick looking doubtful. "You really can't lie, can you?" Asks Nora. "Why do you say that?" Jerick asks curiously. Nora replies with "Your eyes say everything."

"Nora isn't wrong. When I can't bring myself to say something my eyes have always been a giveaway." Jerick mutters to himself.

The announcer says "Welcome friends and family of our graduating class. May I have your attention, please? We are about to begin the ceremony, so would everyone please take your seats so we can begin. And once again thank you."

"Each department went one by one and each speech was given gracefully. When it was my turn to receive my diploma, it felt like my legs weren't there. It took everything I had to stand and walk the stage, which felt like I was walking down a long and never-ending tunnel. I couldn't hear the cheers and applause. I took a look over my shoulder and saw Eiko in the group of people. Tears were streaming down her face, and I made out her lip movement saying "I love you." which caused me to suddenly pause halfway down the stairs."

College Quad

"Jerick, can we talk?" Asks a familiar voice. "Aerina?" Jerick asks, turning around in surprise. "Hey, long time no see." Says Aerina with a half-smile. "Give me a second." "Hey guys, can you give me a while?" "There's something I need to take care of," Jerick says to everyone. "Sure thing." Says Marko and Nora in unison. "I'll try to behave." Says Kayle looking at her hands.

Garden

Jerick thinks to himself "When I saw Aerina after all of these months I was overjoyed. It was good to see that things had worked out in the long run between us. Aerina had changed the time for the class that we were in, which is to be expected. Eiko never came back as my homeroom teacher, yet again not that big of a surprise. My question is, why has she harbored her emotions towards me all this time?"

"Do you have any plans after this?" Asks Aerina while playing with her hair. "Marko was going to take me out drinking later," Jerick says looking at the flowers. "I just wanted to give my congratulations in private." Says Aerina sadly. Jerick starts to say "I know things didn't end the way either of us wanted them to, and I'm truly...!" Aerina interjects with "Don't ruin this, please." "I wanted to let you know I'll be moving next month." "Realy?" Jerick asks, looking at her with shock. "Yeah." "I looked into a theatre troupe a week or so ago and they were interested in my ability." Says Aerina looking straight at me. "That's great," Jerick says with a smile. "Anyways I need to get going." Says Aerina.

Jerick whispers "Thanks Aerina, for everything."

"I stood in the garden alone for a long time. My thoughts are scattered everywhere. Memories from the past flood in like a tidal wave, some not making any sense at all and some that make me smile. Some related to my parents that I had even forgotten about. Remembering the short time I spent with Eiko even surfaced and tears formed in the corners of my eyes. In the midst of my reminiscences I hear a far too familiar voice."

"Hello, Jerick." Says Eiko. "Hello, Eiko," Jerick replies back. "This is such a lovely garden." Says Eiko looking around. "It is." "I always came here when I needed some time alone," Jerick replies back. "You know, it's odd." "I had always found you here." Says Eiko inching closer.

"Keep away from him!" Growls Kayle holding Eiko by the throat.

"Kayle?!" "What do you think you're doing?" Jerick asks, grabbing Kayle's arm. "I came looking for you since you've been gone so long and then I see her getting closer to you." Says Kayle, glaring at Eiko. "Can you at least let her go?" Jerick asks desperately.

"..." Kayle mentally tries to disappear and lets go of Eiko.

"Thank you," Jerick says to Kayle with relief. "She's...?" Starts Eiko. "Not human?" Interjects Kayle with hungry eyes. "Kayle, enough!" "I think she gets the point," Jerick says sternly. "Your's and his struggles have been the same from the very beginning." "Don't you think he's had enough?" Kayle asks through gritted teeth. "I..." "I know, I let my emotions get the better of me." Says Eiko holding her hands to her face crying. "I'm sorry for how I acted as well." Says Kayle holding out a hand in apology.

Jerick thinks to himself "Struggles and a Vampire." "This is great."

"Eiko, I have to break my promise," I say sadly. "I will too." Replies Eiko. "Goodbye," I say under my breath.