Chapter VII: Struggles Or A Vampire

Jerick thinks to himself "It's already been a month and my ribs are still healing. I haven't heard from Aerina. Nora stops by from time to time and keeps me updated on things that are going on at college. I was given a medical excuse from college so I wouldn't get in trouble for the length of time I've missed. The play Aerina and I were supposed to participate in was changed. From what I was told Aerina missed the day of the play and returned a few days later. A substitute teacher took over the homeroom. Eiko took a leave of absence indefinitely. I knew why, and I hated myself for it."

"Jerick, you're brooding again." Says Kayle leaning against the doorframe. "Can you blame me?" "So much has happened in such a short time," Jerick says, staring at his hands. "I know, it's hard to let go of someone you love very deeply and find that same connection with someone else." Says Kayle remorsefully. "Can I ask you something?" Jerick asks with concern. "Anything." Replies Kayle with a wistful smile. "Can you love me, even though I don't feel that way towards you?" Jerick asks regretfully. "This wouldn't have happened if I couldn't." Says Kayle showing her red eyes and platinum hair. "You're right, I'm sorry," Jerick says apologetically.

Kayle thinks to herself "Jerick accepted my change and didn't judge. If anything he complimented my new look. Hunger comes and goes. I'm able to eat "normal" food as well as drink blood. My height spiked by a few inches, so now I'm taller than him."

"Have you figured it out yet?" Asks Marko. "Not really." "A human born with a vampiric gene lays dormant until the carrier feels a deep enough connection with someone then slowly progresses to become dominant," Jerick says with uncertainty. "Yes, you're mostly right." "Have you ever noticed my eyes?" Asks Marko leaning closer. "You're...?!" Jerick starts to say. "I was." "I was too late telling her." Says Marko sadly. "What do you mean, you were too late?" Jerick asks curiously.

"Marko was in love with the original owner of this cafe." "She had bought it a few months before he was going to admit he was in love with her." Says Nora walking in. "What happened?" Jerick asks with unease. "She was murdered." Says Marko and Nora in unison. "So, your eyes...?" Jerick starts to say. "The result of losing someone close, due to our genetics." Says Kayle. "You would be like Marko if something happened to me?" I ask with a lowered tone.

"It would." "Marko lost control after she died." "By the time we found him, he was no longer human, nor a vampire." Says Nora looking distant. "That's why you kept Kayle away from me." Says Jerick with a shiver. "I can love you Jerick, even if you don't feel the same way." "Just knowing I've told you is enough for me right now." Says Kayle placing a hand on my shoulder.

Aerina's House

Aerina thinks to herself "After I read Jericks letter I took a leave of absence from college. I wasn't expecting to find my mom curled up sobbing in the foyer with a letter similar to mine. I tried to get my mother to move but she wasn't budging. I took the letter that was on the floor and read it at the dinner table, I was shocked to read and see the sacrifices he was willing to make and to the extent, he was willing to go to accomplish it. In the end, I missed the play. Now, every day when I get home I find my mom drinking. That is painful to watch. I can't bring myself to say anything. I see what I've done, I just hope in time she'll be able to let him go."

Eiko reminisces her time with Jerick "I remember when I first met Jerick. He was always an honest child. He was always fighting with his dad and telling his mom to step up to him for his behavior. His Mom was always saying something or other and how she wished things would be different, but not being serious enough to do anything about it. Jerick took care of himself and the house without any visible complaints. But the scars that were left behind were visible to me. My husband went through a similar upbringing and made sure when he got old enough that his family was stable."

"The day he died he asked me one simple thing, and that was for me to find happiness all over. I didn't expect it to be my daughter's childhood friend. Someone I've watched grow into the man he is today. My daughter deserves to be happy as much as me, and yet here I am drinking my life away. Aerina, Jerick, I hope the both of you find what you're looking for."

"Jerick, it looks like I'll be letting you go." Says Eiko out loud.