The Beginning of the End

Harper delicately sat on Tim's lap, her fingers lightly moving up and down the back of his neck. "Miss me?" She asked as he put one arm around her waist to hold her still.

"So, what happened?"

"They said that I am not allowed at the card table, so I figured if the card dealer agreed with that rule, then I'd listen."

He gently tugged on the jacket, "I think you forgot something."

She pouted playfully, "Cmon, Tim. I'm comfortable."

Sometimes, he wondered how he managed to keep it together around her. He had never been tested the way she tested him. Women would flirt, and it was easy enough to find someone that would get with a military man, but Harper had him wrapped around her finger.

And, how could she not? She never asked about his time overseas, what it was like to kill someone, why he would ever decide that position in the first place. She didn't care because she had made all those choices. He doubted she would ever go to Afghanistan, so that left one topic on the table for her to discuss if she was curious.

Of all the people in the courthouse, she opened up to him first. She had been able to sense the burdens he carried and let him know he wasn't alone. With no effort at all, she became a big part of his life, and his existence almost depended on her. He knew if he lost her, his entire life world change, and he wasn't sure he would survive.

The way she touched him was just as addicting as her scent. He hadn't been one to stay home all the time, but he almost never wanted to leave. She was in everything. His bedsheets, pillow, and the couch all smelled like her. Anything from the way she would carefully touch him to playing with his hair like she was doing could nearly drive him over the edge or put him to sleep.

He wondered how many men she put under this spell. How many had turned into just friends.

He didn't get to linger on the thoughts for long because Aaron, the card dealer approached them.

"M-Ms. Delaney, I'm afraid you can't join the game," he said as he nervously fidgeted.

Harper stood, "There's no reason to be nervous, Aaron. It's not fight night, so I'm not in a bad mood. But, if I could suggest a slight rule change?"

"Y-yes, ma'am?"

"Let the girlfriends deliver the drinks. The waitress was passing card information to Andy last time."

"Y-yes, ma'am, I'll allow it tonight."

Tim watched as Harper's cold eyes examined the young man. "Get out of here and do something with your life, Aaron. You don't belong here."

"I-I'm actually saving up for college, so come June, I'll be leaving for good."

"Good," she smiled gently. Looking back at Tim, she asked, "Since I'm not here to babysit, do you want beer?"

"I'll trust your judgment," Tim grinned.

"Oh, M-Ms. Delaney? You're expected in the blue room," Aaron said as he started shuffling cards.

Tim noticed the tension in her body and the anger in her eyes. Sitting on Tim's lap, she gently held his face in her hands. Her strange eyes softened as she looked at him, "Tim, if I'm not back when the poker game is over, call Art."

He was enchanted. He couldn't ask her why, he couldn't tell her to stay. All he could do was nod.

Her eyes moved slowly over his face and she rested her forehead against his, then stood and left.

"What's in the blue room?" Tim asked the young man.

He shuffled again, "Fight night. According to everyone, it's the beginning of the end. If Ms. Delaney can win two-hundred and thirty-three fights, then she'll be free of the Delaneys for good. I know she has a thing with Mr. Sellers, but I think Mr. Delaney is letting those first fights count toward it."