Date Night

Tim noticed Harper's jealousy. The reaction had been adorable. He never thought he would see her be jealous in public. If looks could kill, Linda and everyone behind her would have been obliterated.

Tim placed his hand on Harper's and her face turned pale before rushing crimson made her look at the menu. It was Linda's jealous look that made Tim slightly uncomfortable. Andy had divorced her for another woman, but she had a man on the side as well.

Linda had been quite a flirt, even hitting on Tim rather heavily. For her to act the same way while he was obviously in a relationship was unpleasant and unwelcome.

"Linda, can I help my customers?" A blonde woman spoke up before pushing Linda away. Again, this woman seemed to focus on Tim, never even looking at Harper.

There wasn't jealousy on Harper's face this time, but curiosity. She was holding his gaze. Tim wondered what was going through Harper's head. He missed most of what the waitress said, even her name.

"Sir?"

Tim looked away from Harper, "I'll have whatever is on tap. Babe, what do you want?"

"Water, please," Harper said, glancing at the waitress.

The waitress sighed heavily and walked away. Harper shifted awkwardly, not looking at Tim. He moved his thumb over her hand, "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I usually ignore the stares, but it's been a while since I've had people stare at my face like this. I can feel their sympathy, how they want to help me."

Tim lifted her hand to his lips, "Don't worry about them. This is about us and you being out of the house."

She managed a smile, "You're sweet when you want to be."

He chuckled, "Only to you, Firefly."

By the time they were ready to leave, Harper had cheered up quite a bit and Tim had had a few more beers than he expected. His girlfriend easily guided him out of the restaurant, pulling the keys from his pocket.

When they got in the vehicle, Tim's phone rang.

"Hey, Chief," he answered.

"You with Harper?"

"Yeah, I'm with her," he sighed as he rubbed the bridge of his nose. There were few reasons Art would call shortly after work.

"I hate to take you from her, but we need to get in the VFW again."

Tim gave him credit for sounding genuine.

"We're on a date, so I don't really have time to take her home."

"Even better," Art said with a sneaky tone.

Harper struggled into the SUV, and Tim sighed as he got in. "Art calls at the worst times."

"Why? Because you're almost drunk?" Harper teased.

He was careful as he pulled her into a deep kiss, confirming her assumptions. Chocolate cake lingered on her lips. His involuntary reaction of pulling her closer to hold onto the taste triggered something in the woman. She was careful as she slid across the car to his lap. He had to admit it was surprising for her to take charge. She pushed the seat as far back as it would go then leaned the back of the chair back.

Tim had to drive to Harlan. Harper had sobered him and exhausted herself. He wondered what had put her in such a state.

Her hand twitched under his as he gently moved his thumb over the back of her hand. He was pulling to a stop, shifting to park the car.

"You wanna stay in the car?" He asked as he used his free hand to gently move her hair from her face.

"No, I'm coming," she mumbled as she opened the door.