A Picture Perfect Weapon

Vasquez inhaled sharply as he looked over Harper's report. "You're joking. That murderer is going to walk free because a dirty detective put Gutterson in a position where he couldn't ignore a shot?"

"Not my rules, just my observations," Harper replied. "If you feel that strongly about it, I'm sure you can convince Reardon to keep him in on a lesser charge while other detectives sort out the mess. David, you'll have to re-examine every case Madison worked on."

"Shit," he hissed as he rubbed his face. "I guess I'll see you in a few years when this is over."

"I vote going home for the day," Harper said as she left the lawyer's office with Tim.

"Can't," Tim said as they stopped at the elevator. "I've got some paperwork to finish."

She frowned, "That means I have to stay, too."

Tim chuckled as he pushed the button for the elevator, "Get some sleep." His hand barely brushed hers, "Last night wasn't the best way to start this."

"Seemed normal to me," she said quietly.

The elevator opened and they stepped in. Before the door could close, Nelson joined them, looking a bit happier. He looked at Harper then Tim, but kept quiet, despite the smirk on his face.

When the door opened, Harper said, "Got lipstick on your zipper, Nelson. If I noticed it, others will, too."

Tim had to fight not to laugh, but he did chance a glance. There was a pink stain on the crotch of his pants.

Nelson didn't say a word as he stepped off the elevator, heading toward the bathroom.

"I'll see you later, Firefly."

"Bye, Swags."

He had wondered if she remembered the nickname. It was a question he could put on the back burner until it really bothered him. She wasn't shy about their relationship, but she wasn't rubbing it in people's faces. Professionalism seemed to be priority.

The elevator doors closed, taking her from him. When he got to his desk, Raylan sighed, "I was wondering when you'd get back. I need you to do something for me."

Tim was immediately suspicious, "What?"

"That whole assets of the art collector, I need you to talk to David Mortimer."

"Why me?"

"Because he won't talk to me. A fresh face that can push a convincing threat is something I need for this case."

Tim narrowed his eyes, "So, get Rachel to do it."

Raylan paused, "You got something better to do? Or is it someone better to do?"

Tim chuckled, "Fine, I'll help."

"Told you so," Rachel said as she turned a page in her folder.

Tim looked at Rachel as he picked up the phone to call David, "Told him what?"

"Raylan thought you'd get mad about bringing up Harper."

Tim smirked, "Anyone that can handle that woman can intimidate the shit out of just about anyone."

It took David Mortimer about an hour to get to the office. The game began.

Harper showed up in the middle of the questions while Mortimer was creating a list of art and prices for Tim.

"I heard there were Hitlers that got destroyed?" She frowned.

"According to the lab, they're still out there. We've got a team looking for them," Tim replied. "Mr. Mortimer, this is our medical examiner, Dr. Delaney. I guess she's an art enthusiast?"