ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2

"Son of a bitch!" Grady cursed, his hands still entwined with the tank's wires

"Son of a bitch!" Grady cursed, his hands still entwined with the tank's wires. Natalia looked over to the general direction of her brother, only to watch Don carefully climbing back into the tank through the top hatch. His breathing was heavy, rapid, and Natalia couldn't help but silently worry about him. He looked like he had seen a ghost.

The girl turned her attention back to Gordo. She slowly brought her hand up to his cheek, carefully stroking his soft skin to wipe away any tears that may have involuntarily fallen. He flinched at first, though immediately relaxed into her warm touch.

"Did you get that fucker?" Grady asked, eyes still focused on the wires before him. 

"Knocked him off." Don said.

Interrupting the brief conversation was the sound of Bible urinating into an ammo can. To avoid an awkward interaction, Natalia sat back in the drivers seat with her eyes focused on the ground. Trini still refused to let go of Red's bloody hand. 

"Gordo, stop. Leave him rest." Bible instructed. Gordo simply shook his head and held on tighter, almost fearful that his deceased friend would suddenly get up and walk away. 

"Gordo, he's dead." Don's tone was quiet, raspy. It almost sounded like he was losing his voice; "he's dead! Show some respect. Leave him alone." 

Don's raised tone was enough for Trini to finally let go. Natalia shared a heartfelt look with her crewmate, her eyes soft and sorry. This gave them the opportunity to switch back to their respected seats. Natalia knew Gordo and Red were close. Everyone in the tank were close, some were just better at expressing their emotions than others. 

"He's your fault!" Grady practically exploded on Don. It was easier to blame someone for something this sinister than to accept it, and Don just happened to be the one to take the blame. Natalia wanted to be angry, she wanted to blame Don, but she knew it wasn't his fault. It was the Nazis. 

"God damn it. Ain't you done yet?" Don asked Grady, ignoring the outburst directed towards him. 

"You got no right to be fucking sore with me. Quit fuckin' riding me." Grady snapped back. Natalia took in a deep breath, keeping herself composed. 

"I ain't riding you. If I was riding you, you'd know it." Don replied with an attitude. He was aggravated, he wanted to head back to the military base as quickly as possible. All this bickering was just wasting precious time; "more where he came from." 

Natalia felt a stabbing pain in her chest from this comment. She knew Don was mourning the loss of their friend but she also knew he wouldn't show it to the rest of the crew. Though that did not give him a right to be insensitive. Red deserved more respect than that.

"Fuck you, Don! It's your fucking fault we here!" now it was Grady's turn to fire back with attitude. Don shot the man a side glare while putting on his helmet, indicting it was time to hurry up so they could leave.