ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 11

"Is that gas?"

"Is that gas?"

Natalia listened to the quiet conversation between Gordo and Norman while she stood atop of Fury. On the ground, Binkowski was handing her all sorts of items they may need for their long trip. Blankets, rations, you name it, the sergeant had it for the girl. They were mostly things he looted from the homes nearby. She thanked her friend with a genuine smile on her face. He always took good care of her. Binkowski parted from the machine and made his way towards his own, allowing Natalia to stand beside her crewmates. She was so caught up in wondering what the new mission was she almost didn't hear the soldier yell;

"Incoming!"

Planes were heard above head, then bombs dropped.

"Grady! Dove! Jump, jump, jump!" Boyd yelled at the Travis siblings before he closed his hatch, taking cover inside of Fury.

Grady and Natalia quickly shuffled their feet and jumped off of Fury, diving under the tank for shelter. Norman did the same. Grady's arm wrapped protectively around his sister's head, desperate to keep her safe. The residents of the town could be heard screaming in fear, unknowing of what to do or where to go. Natalia counted eight explosions. The girl kept her eyes screwed shut, she almost refused to open them in fear of what the damages may be. For a moment, she hoped and prayed everyone she cared about was alive. Soon, a thick haze of smoke clouded around the tanks.

Captain Waggoner was killed in the explosion.

"Grady, Natalia! You up?" Boyd yelled from inside the tank. They didn't respond, almost causing the preacher to have a heart attack.

Don quickly made his way towards the tanks, pointing at everyone he knew and asking if they were good. Binkowski, Davis, Peterson, they were all alive. Natalia climbed out from her hiding spot when she heard her sergeant's booming voice. For a brief moment, the two locked eyes. They were just thankful to see each other breathing.

"Thank the Krauts for that." Gordo shouted to Natalia when he saw her figure in the cloud of smoke. He had stuck his upper half out of the tank when he too heard Don's voice. Bible remained in the tank, listening below for any movement.

"Grady! Dove! You up?" Boyd screamed out to the Travis siblings once more, his panic rising faster by the millisecond.

"We're up!" Natalia banged the side of her fist onto the tank, proving she was alive and well. Her brother did the same when he climbed his way out from under Fury. The preacher took in a sigh of relief.

Indistinct shouting, talking and coughing flooded Norman's ears. The boy could hardly move after the attack, he simply laid still under the tank, though he maneuvered his way out swiftly when his eyes landed on the destroyed building in front of him. The apartment building the Fury crew were in no longer than twenty minutes ago. The apartment building that Emma lived in. Norman quickly ran towards the rubble, yelling Emma's name for everyone to hear.