ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 5

The first hour after departing from the military base was almost entirely silent, apart from Don telling the crew what the new mission was

The first hour after departing from the military base was almost entirely silent, apart from Don telling the crew what the new mission was. The tanks were set out to meet Baker Company, after that, they were to be working under Captain Waggoner. Natalia had heard of the Captain once or twice, and from what she remembered, he knew exactly what he wanted and how he wanted it done. Over all, it should be an easy mission, she thought. A straightforward mission. 

Natalia was able to catch about an hour of well deserved rest while everyone was quiet. She tossed and turned uncomfortably in her chair. Norman didn't have much to say, he was absolutely terrified of what was to come. Don would talk to Peterson or Binkowski over the radio every once in a while, and the other three sat quietly with their thoughts. By the time Natalia awoke, the tanks were driving past a large group of Germans walking in the opposite direction. With her upper half poking out of her hatch, Natalia got a good look at some of the Germans. One woman wore her wedding dress. Multiple men, who were wearing German soldier uniforms, were waving white flags as a sign of surrender. The scene before them looked harmless, though Don was always one step ahead. 

"There might be a wolf hiding in the sheep. Kid, you're up. Cast an eyeball on them." Don spoke into the radio so everyone in the tank could hear the order; "anything that makes a move, you cut them right in half. People in the way? That's their problem. You do what you got to do, copy?"

Norman couldn't believe what he was being told to do. He couldn't possibly fathom the idea of having to kill someone. He looked over to Natalia, who thankfully was already watching to see his reaction. She gave him a quick nod. He would have to learn sooner rather than later.

"Copy." Norman spoke into his intercom. 

"You copy?" Don asked with more aggression.

"I copy." the boy said louder. 

"Gordo, talk him through that gun again." Don instructed. 

Trini went on to tell Norman the gun was loaded and ready to fire, just simply pull the trigger. He told the boy every five rounds is a tracer, though he hardly understood what any of that meant. Remember, short bursts to harvest more meat per bullet. Norman's hands found their way to the gun, his finger locked on the trigger, ready to fire. 

The column of tanks drove between the large group of people, giving the crew a better chance to view who they were surrounded by. Don called out to them in German, telling the people where the Americans were and to keep moving with their hands raised. Natalia tried her best to avoid looking directly at any specific person, though the odd man or woman caught her eye, even a small child. All of them had a pleading look on their face, a cry for help. No one in the crew said a word as they drove past, no one had anything worthwhile to say. Natalia had suspected this was one town's population fleeing, probably due to the aftermath of an attack. Roughly fifteen minutes later, the group of Germans were entirely out of sight.