ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13

Natalia didn't sleep a wink the night following the death of Binkowski, Peterson and Davis

Natalia didn't sleep a wink the night following the death of Binkowski, Peterson and Davis. How could she? Just when things were starting to look up for her, reality came crashing down. The silent night gave her mind the opportunity to finally realize the three sergeants are dead, and they’re never coming back. Gordo had asked her multiple times throughout the night if she was okay, though she simply shrugged him off, claiming she was tired. She wasn't quite in the mood to converse with anyone. For a brief moment, she didn't even want to talk to Don. That was until she realized how absurd she was being, then she quietly climbed her way past Norman, Grady and Boyd, careful not to disturb their slumber. The sergeant of the tank was wide awake, though he remained silent. His crew needed, more like deserved, the peace and quiet they were gifted.

"Don?" Natalia whispered, her hand coming up from her side to gently stroke his face.

"Yes, darling?" Don laced his fingers with the girl's, bringing her hand to his lips to give it a chaste kiss.

"Pete..." Natalia couldn't stop herself from tearing up. Within seconds, the dirt and soot on her face was being washed away by a stream of tears. Don didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around her, holding her in a secure embrace.

"I know. But look," Don pointed up to his open hatch. The sky was pitch black and littered with bright stars; "Binkowski would never leave you. He's up there, watching over you."

Natalia sniffled and desperately wiped at her face. She seemed to be letting her emotions get to her a lot more recently. She hated it. Her eyes fixed on the sky above, bouncing focus from one star to the next. She decided the two brightest ones were Red and Binkowski and the two between them were Davis and Peterson. One word came to her mind;

Apotelesma

"Influence of the stars on human destiny"

"Don?"

"Yes, darling?" Don's fingers carefully ran through the girl's hair, detangeling the knots.

"Promise to never leave me." Natalia knew those promises were rarely kept, in war and in general. Don's heart broke at these words.

"You know I can't promise you that."

"Please. Promise me, whatever happens, you'll always be by my side." Natalia adjusted her position so she was face to face with him, allowing them to make eye contact. Don had a hard time meeting her eye; "pinky promise." Natalia brought her hand up, extending her pinky finger.

"I promise." The sergeant said in a quiet whisper, locking their pinky fingers together.