[5] what goes up, must come down.

"will you just talk to me?"

she groaned, her head throwing itself back as she turned to face her mother. "what— what is there to talk about?" she asked. "is it about the fact that you're trying to move the dirtiest man in queens into our house?"

her mother rolled her eyes at this, crossing her arms and tapping her foot in annoyance. "or wait— is it about the fact that you're getting married to the dirtiest man in queens?" she held her hands up to her mother. "please, enlighten me, mom. what could we possibly have to talk about?"

"you know, you could at least try and be happy for me," her mother snapped, pointing a finger towards her daughter. "but no, i'm always the bad guy!" her mother shook her head, clawing at the tresses atop her head, rubbing her palm over her forehead. "i can't— i can't do anything right anymore, can't i?"

she huffed and collapsed on the couch, arms crossed over her chest and foot tapping against the ground below. her teeth sunk into her lip to prevent words from slipping out— because only the lord knew what she wanted to say. venom coursed through her veins, vile words shaped vile sentences as foul thoughts swarmed her mind like a storm, her brain becoming a tempest. her mother paced back and forth before her, her irises watching her mother's every move as she rambled, everything going right over her head.

"i am your daughter, don't you think i have a say in something like this?" she questioned. "or what, am i not allowed to look out for my own mother?"

"i don't need you looking out for me, i am fully capable of making my own decisions," her mother clipped her tone, hostility laced in every syllable. she was taken aback by the sudden change of tone, sinking back into the couch cushions. "i am so sick of you trying to ruin anything i may or may not have with a man," she continued. "i can't live like this anymore. i'm a grown woman, i don't want to live out the rest of my life alone."

"i don't want you to live like that," she cried, arising from her seat on the couch and grasping her mother by the shoulders. tears stung the corners of her sockets, her vision glossy. "i just want you to realize you don't have to settle, that there's plenty of good men out there for you."

her mother broke away, shaking her head once again. "no, no, you say this about every single man i bring home," she tittered, a hand to her hip and one to her forehead. "you don't even give them a chance."

"and i was right to do so."

her mother stopped her pacing, stopped moving entirely, turning around to stare back at her daughter. she pursed her lips, doing her best to fight the tears back into her eyes, but she swore she could still feel them fall. "all that i've ever done is look after you, mom," she shook her head, reaching for the straps of her backpack. "i've got to go. i have school."

her mother called her name but she ignored her, she didn't so much as glance back. she tramped her way to the door, ripping it open and slamming it shut behind her. she remained in front of her door for a couple of heartbeats, the muffled sobs permeating the apartment just behind the door. at last, she pushed away, hand searching through her pockets for her phone as she set off for school.

she stared at his contact— the weekend had came and went, and she didn't get one single text from peter parker. she supposed that he was busy and after all, they never agreed that they would text each other.

alas, she couldn't deny the disappointment she felt.

she even found herself staring down at her phone the entire train ride to school, as if peter would somehow remember to text. she locked her phone and pursed her lips— she would see him at school today anyways.