The Children We Never Had

**Warning: Brief mention of panic attacks.

CARINA'S POV

Madrid, Spain

Seattle, why Seattle? I think for the thousandth time sitting in this airport, trying to stop my leg from bouncing, this anxiety is killing me. If it wasn't for the fact that the project is progressing well and that I promised my partner that I would go to the presentation for the hospital that chose to sponsor it, I wouldn't be in this situation. But of course, Grey Sloan would be the sponsor, how did it not cross my mind? Is it maybe because I have tried to forget that place and that city for the past 24 months of my life? I let out a sigh when I hear the airport intercom.

-"Passengers bound for Seattle, please prepare to board"

Well, the time has come, it will only be 2 weeks. With this thought I stand up and take my bags trying to gather courage to face what awaits me.

MAYA'S POV

Seattle, United States

Arggg is the third time that my phone rings in the last 5 minutes! Whoever's calling must have an emergency or they're going to have to deal with my anger. I roll over in bed with a small groan and grab the cell phone off the nightstand, it's Andy.

- "Andy, I hope this is really important" I say immediately when answering with an exasperated tone.

-"Maya! I need you now! My water broke and I'm home alone!"

-"I'm coming!" I barely say this and hang up, jumping out of bed, hurrying out of my apartment, throwing on the first clothes I can find and grabbing my helmet.

I pedal at full speed the few blocks that separate me from my best friend's house, throwing my bike in front of the door and using my copy of the key to enter.

-"Andy!" I call from the door, rushing into the living room to look for my friend, calling again when I don't see her there. "Andy!"

-"Up here!" I hear the pregnant woman call. I run up the stairs opening a couple of doors until I find her in the nursery.

-"Andy, what are you doing?" I ask when I see the brunette squeezing the bars of her eldest son's crib tightly, with her eyes tight shut.

"Getting Tanner's things ready" she replied after the pain of the contraction passed.

-"OK ok ... Ermm ... I'll do it. You walk, or sit, or whatever is best" I answer trying to stay calm.

Andy didn't protest and let me get everything ready. Minutes later we were about to arrive at Grey Sloan in Andy's car.

-"I thought that the second was going to be easier" Andy commented wiping the sweat from his forehead after another contraction "but it's worse."

-"Well, I've heard that every pregnancy is different" I comment trying to avoid the melancholy in my voice, but apparently I can't, judging by the look Andy gives me, so before she could say something about it I add "we are here, let me help you down first, then I'll take care of Tanner"

A short time later Andy has been admitted and accommodated in her room, being there I try to locate Sullivan again, but he is not answering, possibly he is on a call, so I limit myself to leaving him a couple of messages emphasizing that he must come to the hospital soon. I love Andy very much and I would like to be with her during the whole process, but my new nephew chose a bad day to be born, the only thing I really want today is to be curled up in my bed wallowing on my own misery, but I can't do that, not if there's no one else to keep Andy company and take care of Tanner. So, I was lost in my thoughts when I hear a small knock on the door.