I don't want to go

It all started like a normal day for Maya. She woke up early next to her wife, the sunbeams that were beginning to filter through the curtains made Carina's hair shine and the different shades of brown in it were clearly visible. Maya admired her as if it was the first time she had seen the Italian next to her; after a few minutes she got out of bed trying not to wake up her love. When she had finished getting ready she returned to the bed on Carina's side and gently caressed her exposed cheek, this made the doctor start to wake up, usually Maya would have let her wife sleep, but the days she had to go to a 24 hours shift or more she would always wake her up so she could say a proper goodbye. Carina opened her eyes and the first thing she saw was her wife smiling at her, she returned a sleepy smile.

"Good morning love" Maya told her, caressing her cheek again.

"Good morning Bella, how are you today?"

"I'm fine, I'm ready to go and I wanted to say goodbye."

"Oh, what time is it?" replied Carina waking up fully and starting to sit up, but Maya stopped her.

"Don't get up, it's a quarter past six, but I wanted to let you sleep as much as possible, you looked very comfortable and calm."

"Thank you, but you should have woken me up so I could spend more time with you" Carina pointed out with a little pout, Maya just chuckled when she saw her wife's cuteness.

"I'm sorry love, but now more than ever I want you to take advantage of the rest you can have."

"I know, thanks for taking care of us" answered Carina, taking one of Maya's hands in her own hands with a small smile.

"Always" smiled Maya "How is my bump?" she said lovingly placing her other hand on Carina's 6-month-old belly.

"Do you have to call her that?" Carina sighed as if defeated.

"Yes, it's cute!" defended Maya, laughing.

"If you say so" said Carina rolling her eyes "well, your little bump here slept well all night, this time she let me sleep in peace."

"Very good my little bump, thanks for taking care of your momma" Maya said leaning over her wife's belly and smiling even bigger when she felt a slight movement under her hand.

"And now she's awake" Carina reported as if accusing her wife.

"Don't look at me like that, we already let you sleep enough" the firefighter joked.

"I guess" Carina said, feigning exasperation, "did you go see Fiorella yet?" asked Carina referring to her eldest daughter.

"Not yet, but I'm sure she's still asleep, after all she's your daughter" Maya joked.

"You're funny today" observed Carina with an amused smile.

"I'm in a good mood, yes... how could I not be? I spent a couple of quiet days with my family, I slept very well, I woke up next to the love of my life who, by the way, is carrying my second daughter. I'm ready to go do the job that I like... yes, everything is fine in the world."

Carina didn't say anything, she just smiled big and took her wife by the neck of her blouse to bring her closer to her and plant a sweet kiss on her. Maya accepted it happily.

"I love you, Maya" Carina said as she pulled away from the kiss.

"And I love you" replied Maya, kissing her wife's lips again. "Well, I have to go. Don't hesitate to call me if anything happens. What time do you start your shift today?"

"At 3."

"Then maybe you can go have lunch with us. Andy has the day off and she said she was going to visit us. They would all love to see you. Last shift they were complaining that it had been a long time since they had seen Fiorella."