Ch. 16

Pretty soon, it was the first week of November, and it practically felt like a long time since I had been at Marshall Academy. And even up to this time, those nightmares continued. I also learned that Rachel Fuller-Lang could transform into anybody she could possibly turn into—-literally. Apparently, she had these magic powers that couldn't be explained except that this is a horror/fantasy story, so that would clearly explain it better—-just give the main villain supernatural abilities. She could even transform into me (how was that for hair-raising?) Of course she would do that to try to screw around with me, so I needed to be on a lookout. On other other hand, I had to try to figure out some details that led up to her death, and if no one was willing to help me I'd do all this myself.

I had seen this in a dream—-well, make that a nightmare. For some very strange reason, I was at the edge of a cliff somewhere (even though I've always had a fear of heights since I was little), and I was trying my best to escape this unknown place otherwise known as "no man's land", when all of a sudden I saw her standing right there with an evil grin on her face. I wanted to knock that grin off her face; it ticked me off now as well as terrified me.

"Trying to escape, Princess?" she said, and from her devious expression, I was certain I knew what would happen next. As usual, my prediction was right; she took out a knife, which seemed longer this time, as if she were carrying a Medieval sword or something.

"From you," I replied in a snappish way. "Forever."

"Well, don't we all know that that is highly impossible," she said, and she came closer to me. "I will not make you fall off this cliff."

I felt confused but at the same time sort of relieved. She continued, "However...." Oh, how I hated hearing that word. "I must hear you say out loud many times that I, Rachel Fuller, am the more favored child, not you. If you don't, I will make you fall off this cliff."

"But you weren't the favored one," I said. "You never were. I was. I always received more attention than you ever had."

"Nonsense!" she boomed, now very angry. "I do not believe that I was intended to be the neglected one in the family! It's bad enough that Mom and Dad have ignored you now forever. You wanna know why? You are not important to them; being famous is! Neither was I. But when I was alive, I always wished to receive that much attention as you. So right now you are going to not drive me up a wall by doing what I have just told you to do, or else you will face what I'm facing right now—-death!"

"You cannot threaten me, your own sister!" I snapped.

"Why not?" she said, with that holier-than-thou tone in her voice. "I'm only human just like you, aren't I? I have my rights, do I not?"

"You're a dead person!" I cried with anger and maybe a little hint of fear as well. "You have no rights anymore! You're dead, and you should just disappear off into nothingness!"

I know, I know, that was pretty cruel, and you're all thinking that I'm the bad guy now. But the truth was, it wasn't really me speaking; it was the monster within me. My inner demons were really getting the best of me now. Rachel was then blazing angry....literally. "How dare you think you can get away with saying that to me!" she practically screamed at the top of her lungs. "Now I'm really going to make your life miserable before it truly ends! I will haunt you for all ages!"

Then that was the part where she had transformed into me, which I had to admit was a tad spooky—-make that very. Suddenly, there was an earthquake. I felt like I was about to fall off, although I was trying my hardest to escape. "Please stay away from me!" I said to Rachel. "I'm begging you; there's no need for you to mess around with me!"