Ch. 27

Time flew like an arrow when Thanksgiving week suddenly approached. Even though it felt like forever as the days were slowly coming and going one by one, the time that had passed always felt quick, sort of rushed. I felt the same way when I first came to Marshall Academy, and it's amazing how three months just passed by so fast. But it wouldn't be for long when Marvin was moving to a different school in another state, which meant I had about very little to no time to make it count with him. On the other hand, at least we were out for vacation this week and we had everything for the funeral service all planned out, along with some helpful plans and tips from Mom, Dad, Aunt Hillary and the others.

We had two weeks off for vacation, so on Friday afternoon, when all classes were over, Headmistress Rogers had announced that we meet in the auditorium and announced that we had to gather all our belongings in time for the long holiday break. After all the packing, we awaited the arrival of our rides---some students even hitched rides with each other, such as Jeanna hitching a ride with Marvin in his Ferrari, and all that---while I waited for Joey to come pick me up. I also asked for Donna's phone number while I was waiting for Joey so we could talk more about the funeral service. I forgot to ask for Marvin's number, but then again, he was a different story. I'll remember to ask him for his number next time.

When I got home, everyone was very excited to see me, as if I hadn't seen them in ages. Actually, it did feel like I didn't seem them in eons. "Oh, Cassandra, how happy we are to see you!" Mom exclaimed with joy, hugging and squeezing me. I had forgotten what it was like being wrapped up in her warm, comforting embrace. "We've missed you so much!"

After I let go of her hug, I said to everyone, "And I missed you guys too."

"So, a little birdie told us that you and your friends have planned out everything for the funeral, huh?" said Dad. I always missed his jokingly attitude; like Uncle Shawn, he really knew how to be funny.

"Yes, and as a matter of fact, it's this Sunday," I said proudly.

Aunt Hillary looked amazed. "Wow, you planned out everything in just a whole week," she said. "How did you do this?"

"Let's just say I received some helpful tips from a few friends, Headmistress Rogers, and you guys," I said, and we all laughed. These were the great moments that defined life.

"Well, you're welcome then," said Uncle Shawn.

I replied, "Thanks, you guys, for helping me out on this. I wouldn't have been able to do anything if it hadn't been for you."

"Sweetheart, you did what was not only right but you were also brave," said Mom. "You stood by your virtues, and you did the right thing. We can hope that this funeral will turn out to be a very beautiful event for all of us who will be there. We're very proud of you." She gave me a kiss on the forehead, and it made me feel good inside. In fact, very good.

"Hillary and I will take you out to buy you a nice blouse and skirt," Aunt Elena said to me. "Is that okay with you?"

"Anything is fine by me," I replied. I was thrilled to see my family again since the end of summer, which definitely felt like a long time.

The funeral service turned out to be a wonderful event, unlike last time when it was only just us Fullers and nobody else, and we buried Rachel in the garden, her favorite place. In addition to that, there were a lot more people than last time, perhaps about 300 invited guests, along with neighbors, relatives, friends, family friends, people who actually cared enough to show some compassion for my deceased sister. I didn't really cry so much in the church as I did when we were about to put her in the coffin, where she would rest peacefully and remain where she truly belonged---in the heavens.