5: Wajah Tum Ho

Prerna sat on the bed, staring at the glass of milk on the side table. There was a lot she didn't expect from business shark Rishabh Bajaj, but this? How could a person like him know what was or wasn't good for a pregnancy?

She was so confused. Prerna decided to finally get out of the wedding clothes, and went to the closet to get her night clothes. After 30 minutes of taking off jewelry, she finally got out of the lehenga. Prerna quickly switched clothes and sat at the vanity to brush out her hair.

As she was bringing up the brush, Prerna finally noticed the mehendi on her hand. The brush slipped from her hand, and she sat staring at her palm. She was supposed to have a B on her hand, for Basu. But somehow the mehendi had gotten disturbed and now, clearly on her palm, was the letter R. In a deep red color. Prerna absentmindedly brushed her hair, but when she was done, she stood up and went back to the right side of the bed, with the glass of milk next to it.

Prerna took the glass of milk and drank it before getting into bed. She placed a hand on her belly as she was lost in thought.

Chalo, at least insaan to hai.

In the morning, Prerna reluctantly went out of the room. She was on the phone walking down the stairs, expecting a smooth walk, but instead she stepped on something on the ground floor.

"Ouch!" Prerna flinched and checked her foot... to remove a small plastic heel shoe.

"Kya?" Prerna picked up the toy, confused beyond belief. What would a dress up shoe be doing in Mr. Bajaj's home?!

Looking around, she found other girl toys laying on the floor. Prerna picked up the toys and followed them in a direction she thought they were coming from.

"Baby! Pehenn lo na!" A familiar voice was ordering. Prerna quickly followed the voice into an open bedroom.

"Arrey!" Prerna was happily shocked to see the little girl. "Tum yahaan kya kar rahi ho?"

The girl was jumping on the bed when Prerna came in, and stopped to run to Prerna. Prerna hugged the girl and sat her down on the bed.

"Kya kar rahi thi, subha subha? Aya ko tung kar rahi ho?"

The girl shook her head. Prerna laughed.

"Mujhe pata tha. Chalo, abh jaldi se kapde change kar lo."

The nanny tried to change her, but the girl squirmed.

"Hmm. Mere se pehno gi?"

The girl excitedly nodded.

"Lao," Prerna took the new clothes and began helping her out of her pajamas.

"Vaise," Prerna began as she was putting on the new shirt, "tum yahaan kya kar rahi ho?"

As soon as the shirt was on, the girl began giggling. Her laughter was catchy and Prerna chuckled too. "Iss mein funny kya hai?"

"Ghar Kukki ka hai, toh Kukki yahin ho gi na?" Mr. Bajaj joined them, and Prerna turned to face him.

Since she was too stunned to speak, Rishabh answered her unasked question. He came closer and Kukki jumped into his arms.

"Kukki meri baiti hai, aur aapki yahaan hone ki wajah."

"K-kya?" Prerna could barely understand.

Rishabh kissed Kukki and put her down. "Baita aap jaa ke breakfast karlo, maine Prerna aunty se kuch baatein karni hain."

Kukki shook her head and grabbed Prerna's hand, pulling her. Rishabh sighed.

"Aap... Kukki ke saath breakfast kareingi?"

Prerna smiled at Kukki and followed her to the dining table. She helped the girl into one seat and sat into the nearest chair. "Accha ji. Toh aap kya khaein gi? Omelette?" Kukki shook her head. "Toast? Mujhe pata hai, hum oatmeal khaeinge. Mere haath se, thik hai?" Before Kukki could refuse, Prerna began to feed her.

"I want the truth. Abhi," Prerna demanded from Rishabh, "right now," she reinforced when he began to refuse.

"Jabh bhi aapne Kukki ki help ki, I was there. Main ne dekha kaise aapne usska khayal rakkha, aur kaise aap se mil kar Kukki ki health better ho jati." Rishabh looked at Kukki eating breakfast and smiled at her. "Meri beti se bardh kar mere liye kuch nahi hai. Actually, meri beti hi mera sabh kuch hai."

"Kukki ki doctor ne mujhe bataya ke aap ke saath reh kar woh improve ho rahi hai, aur issi liye main aapko hamare ghar le aaya."

Prerna finished feeding Kukki and the little girl ran off to play. Prerna forcefully put the dish down and turned to face Rishabh, but before she could express her feelings, he continued.

"Aap yahaan tabh tak hain jab taq Kukki theek nahi ho jaati. Jaise hi Kukki better ho jayegi, aap free hongi. You and I both hope that happens sooner rather than later."

Rishabh's phone rang and he got up to receive it. "Aap bhi breakfast kar lein, warna pura day tired rahein gi. Main aaj late ho jaunga, wait karne ki koi need nahi hai. Kuch chahiye ho ga to servants hain ghar pe."