21. Problem... solved?

"Mumma!" Kukki called again and ran out the maintenance room.

Prerna ran towards where she heard the child's voice and stopped in her tracks when she saw Kukki run towards her. The little girl smiled as she stopped next to her and Prerna sat down.

"Ph-phir se bolo?" She asked, as if she had heard wrong.

"Mumma, ice cream chalein?" Kukki innocently asked.

Prerna cried and stroked the girl's face before she pulled her into a tight hug. Even the house workers had surrounded them now.

"Aap, aap ne mujhe mumma kaha?"

Kukki nodded. "Toh aap meri mumma hi ho na? Actually, pari mumma. Kyunki real mumma nahi hai na. Woh chali gayi," before she could get sad, Kukki smiled. "Lekin phir aap aa gayi!"

Prerna laughed and nodded. "Hmm. Abh main aa gayi hoon. Aur abh Kukki bilkul thik ho gayi hai!"

"Baby, aap, aap ne konsa khana khaana hai? Aap bolo na. Main sara banae gi," Mrs. Briganza asked to hear Kukki's voice.

"Baby, aapko ice cream khaane jaana tha na? Aap bolo kidhar jaane ko hai, main leke jaata hoon!"

Kukki laughed at everyone being eager to hear her speak.

"Main sir ko phone karun?" One of the managers asked.

"Nahi!" Prerna shouted, and cleared her face as she got up. "Nahi. Mr. Bajaj ko koi nahi batae ga. Hum papa ko surprise dete hain, what do you think, Kukki?"

Kukki smiled and nodded her head side to side but Prerna shook her head. "Nahi. Abh yeh silent treatment nahi chale ga. Now Kukki has to talk, hai na? Toh, phir. Papa ko surprise dein?"

"Yes!" Kukki cheered and raised her arms for Prerna to pick her up. "Now ice cream!!"

Prerna laughed and the driver happily took them to the mall. They had ice cream and got more shopping done, this time with Kukki talking. When they got home, the table was laid full with Kukki's favorite dishes. The servants hung about again to hear her as much as possible.

Kukki was a chatterbox all night, except when Rishabh called for her bedtime. Rishabh face timed and Kukki continued her mute behavior to not spoil the surprise. It was raining that night, and Rishabh made her be a big brave girl for her mumma, and told her he would be home by the morning.

After the call, Kukki couldn't sleep with the thunderstorm outside, no matter what Prerna said. And then Prerna got an idea.

"Aapko thunder se dur lag raha hai na?" Prerna pulled Kukki in her lap. "Aapko pata hai ghar mein sabse ziyada safe room konsa hai?"

"Nai," Kukki shook her head.

"Ghar mein sabse safe room, papa ka room hai. Itna bada kamra hai, aur itna bada bed hai, aur uss mein itne ziyada pillows aur blankets hai! Idea: hum pillow fort banayein jaake?!"

"Yay, Pillow house!" Kukki agreed excitedly.

"Lekin Kukki, papa ka room upstairs hai," Prerna reminded her.

Kukki settled down. "Oh."

Prerna comforted Kukki. "Lekin aapko yaad hai na, jabh hum pehli baar mile the, toh main ne aapko mall mein aur road mein save kiya tha!"

"Haan, you got me the toy!" Kukki remembered.

"Toh phir aap mere pe trust karogi? Pari ma aapko kuch nahi hone de gi. Promise," she held out her finger.

"Aapko kuch ho gaya toh?" Kukki worried.

Prerna fake pouted. "Mujhe kuch kiyun hoga? Aur waise bhi, papa subhe tak aa jaaein ge. Aur phir hum saare safe honge, thik hai?"