11. Family

One day, Prerna picked Kukki up from school and the little girl was excited about something. Prerna could hardly get her to change clothes before Kukki went to grab her bag.

"Accha ji, what's the excitement, huh?" Prerna asked as she sat down with Kukki.

Kukki pulled out a folder from her backpack.

"Homework mila hai? Lao dikhao," Prerna took the folder and opened it up. "Oh, you're learning about family tree, huh?"

Kukki nodded and took a paper out from the folder, putting it on the table. She showed Prerna a family tree that started with Kukki. Then above there was Rishabh and a side line connecting him to Sia, and a whole line connecting to Prerna, labeled Pari Maa. Kukki pointed to the branches going above Prerna, asking her who was in her family.

"Meri family? Hmm. Meri family mein maan hain, jinse aap mili thi. Mera chota bhai hai, jo aapki birthday pe aaya tha. Meri choti behen hai, Shivani," Prerna sighed heavily. "Aur mera bara bhai, Shekhar."

Kukki was impressed. She held three fingers out, waving them excitedly. Prerna laughed. "Ji! Itne saare! Aap ko kya chahiye?" Prerna thought for her. "Behen? Choti so doll?"

Kukki shook her head.

"No?! Kyun?"

Kukki pointed at Rishabh's name and hugged herself, hand over heart.

Prerna laughed. "Papa ko share nahi karna aapne?"

Kukki nodded and expressed that she was the only girl in her papa's life.

"To phir... bhai?"

Kukki excitedly nodded.

"Acha? Itna pasand hai bhai! Kyun?"

Kukki grabbed Prerna's wrist and tied an imaginary dori. Prerna understood.

"Raksha bandhan!"

Kukki nodded, and motioned like she was hugging a lot of things. Prerna laughed and messed with Kukki. "Oho! To aapko gifts chahiye!"

Kukki smiled mischievously. Then, in her motions, she asked Prerna where her brothers were. Prerna thought about how to answer, looking worried.

"Mere bhai... pata nahi kabh milenge," she said mostly to herself.

Kukki pulled on her sleeve and told her Raksha bandhan was in a few days. Prerna smiled and pulled Kukki in her lap.

"I know, but mein kya karu?"

Kukki made a motion like she had an idea.
She expressed that she would like to go shopping for Raksha Bandhan supplies.

The next day after school, Prerna took Kukki shopping. The duo had fun picking out doris and trays and all the other fun stuff. Later at home, Kukki asked Rishabh to put her to bed. While they were laying together, Kukki told Rishabh about Raksha bandhan and expressed her sadness in Prerna not being able to see her brothers. On the other hand, to Rishabh's surprise, Kukki told him she was excited about having a little brother, and showed him the small dori she had bought for the baby.

That night, Rishabh was contemplative as he stayed up in bed. Of course Prerna was starting to show a little bit. He didn't know how long she was. Rishabh didn't know what he would say to Kukki; it wasn't their baby. He was frustrated, as it would be hard to break their relationship once the deal was complete. Once Kukki would speak, and Prerna would be free.

In the morning, Rishabh was late, waking up when Prerna came back from dropping Kukki at school. He didn't have any big meetings today, so instead he asked Mehra to organize a big Raksha Bandhan event, inviting families across the city. That way, in front of everyone, Prerna could celebrate Raksha bandhan with her brothers.