6: Acche Hain

"Woh is ghar mein nahi aaye gi, bas!" Shekhar yelled as his mother was trying to talk to him. "Pehle Anuraag ke piche zaleel karwa ker, abh Bajaj ke saath chali gayi. Bas iss ke piche bhaag lo saare."

"Shekhar, tumhe saari baat nahi pata. Kiyun uski mushkil bardha rahe-"

"Uski mushkil!? Pichle teen saalon se Prerna ki mushkil sunte aa rahe hai. Abh aur nahi. Marr chuki hai woh iss ghar ke liye."

Shekhar stormed up to Prerna's room and pulled out all her clothes, tossing them down the stairs. He took them to the space in their house and set her things on fire. Veena cried, stressed out. Nobody understood Prerna here. Whatever the reasons, she did get married. And every married woman deserved her rituals.

After Shekhar had left home and his wife had gone out, Veena made a quick dish and got herself ready to go to Prerna's new house. She took a taxi from the street end and told the driver to go to Bajaj Mansion.

The taxi arrives at the mansion and the security guard asked them who they were. Veena told him she was Prerna's mother and the guard became excited. He quickly helped her out and paid the driver for her and lead her to the house.

Veena entered the house and stood near the door, waiting for Prerna. While she waited, a young girl came running, half ready. She saw the old woman and stopped in front of her.

"Arrey! Aap kon ho?" Veena nicely asked. The girl bit her finger and shifted around.

"Prerna Baji hai ghar pe?" Veena asked, and the girl nodded excitedly and pointed towards the bedroom hall.

"Kukki! Aap kahan chali gayi? Sahi se ready bhi nahi hui! Aise school ke liye-" Prerna came out, and stopped when she saw her mother.

"Ma, aap?" Prerna was confused but stepped forward and took blessings. "Aap bata ke aa jati, mein gari bhijwa deti."

Veena shook her head. "Nahi main kisi ko bata kar nahi aayi. Tujhe toh aane se mana kardiya, toh mein khud aagayi."

"Mana kar diya?" Prerna was about to ask, but remembered Kukki. "Aik second ma, pehle isko school ke liye ready kar lein, phir hum baatein karte hai. Come here, Kukki!"

Veena watched as Prerna ran after Kukki. "Yeh kis ki beti hai?"

Prerna had grabbed the girl and sat on the sofa with her. "Ma, yeh Mr. Bajaj ki beti hai, Kukki."

Veena was shocked, but Prerna was distracted getting Kukki ready. "Mein yahan iss ke liye aayi hun!" Prerna teased, trying to brush Kukki's hair.

Veena decided to save her questions for later. "Lao mein bana deti hoon. Mere se banwao gi?" Veena asked Kukki and the girl excitedly nodded.

Kukki went to sit by her new grandma and Prerna handed her the brush and ponies as she went to put away the food Veena had brought.

"Aisey hi main Prerna ke bhi baal banati thi. Do pyaari si chotiyan, chhoti si gudiya ke liye."

The women got Kukki ready and sent her off to school. Prerna ordered tea for them and they sat and talked.

"Mr. Bajaj ne tumse shaadi apni beti ke liye ki?"

"Hmm," Prerna nodded. "Abhi to yeh kaha."

"To woh tumhe nanny nahi bana sakta tha?"

"Maine bhi yahi puchna tha, lekin wo office nikal gaye. Wapis ayen ge toh main poochoon gi. Aap kya keh rahi thi? Mera ghar aana mana hai?"

Veena looked away. "Shekhar... Shekhar abhi bahut gusse mein hai. Kuch der naraaz rahe ga, lekin main baad mein baat karungi usse."

They had spent half the day talking and looking around the house. The housekeeper reminded Prerna that Kukki would be coming home soon. Prerna ordered lunch and went to get Kukki's evening clothes.

"Ma, aap yahan baitho, main Kukki ke kapre rakhti hoon." Prerna turned but stopped, coming back for a minute. "Ma, Mr. Bajaj mixed khate hain, aur Kukki ko veg nahi pasand."

"Koi baat nahi, hum apna khana saath laye hain."

While Prerna was gone, Kukki came home... along with her father. She saw Veena in the living room and ran to her, startling Rishabh.

"Kukki! Shoes..." he chased after her and came to the living room. "Aap yahan?"

"Haan, main yahan. Hamare pariwaar mein riwaaj hai ke shadi ke baad pehle khana ladki ke mehke wale karte hai. Badkismat to hamari beti hai, jo ghar nahi aa sakti," Veena glared at Rishabh.

Rishabh sighed and sat in the chair across. "Kukki, this is your new grandmother. Aapne inko tung nahi karna, accha? Now, be a good girl and go change."

Kukki ran off and Rishabh got up from his seat. "Maine Prerna ko nahi roka, and your family is welcome to visit." He then went up to change himself.

Prerna brought Kukki out in her new clothes and the ladies went to the dining table as the kitchen staff laid the dishes. "Abh dekhain, nani, Kukki saara kuch finish karle gi, haina?"

Kukki shook her head and pointed upstairs. Prerna followed her finger. "Aap papa ka wait kar rahi ho? Thik hai, papa ka wait karte hain. Accha to batao, aap ka day kaisa guzra school main?"

Kukki smiled and playfully tilted her head both sides, holding up one thumb straight and one on the side.

"Bus theek?" Prerna guessed. Kukki nodded.

Veena was watching the interaction. "Yeh bolti kyun nahi?"

Prerna felt Kukki tense, and thought a quick response on the spot. "Kyunki abhi kuch interesting bolne ko hai hi nahi. Jab kuch interesting ho ga, to Kukki bol bhi de gi. Haina Kukki?"

Kukki smiled and nodded excitedly.

"Aap logon ne khana nahi shuru kiya?" Rishabh said as he made his way to his seat.

"Aap ki beti to aap ke baghair khaana nahi khati, toh humne socha hum dono Kukki ke saath hi khayein ge."

"Bad girl, Kukki. Aap nani ko hungry rakho gi? Okay nevermind, let's eat."

Prerna offered Rishabh the house dish and gave some to Kukki also before offering Veena the bhindi she had brought.

"Prerna, mujhe bhi pass karengi?" Rishabh asked after Prerna had put some on her own plate.

Prerna passed the dish and Rishabh put some on his own plate, but Kukki gagged as she heard the squishy sounds. Rishabh put the dish down and ate a bite before he spoke.

"Kukki, that's rude. Nani itne dil se aap ke liye khana layi hai. You know, bhindi is my favorite vegetable. It can make you so healthy and strong."

Kukki wasn't buying it, so Rishabh picked up the dish. "Fine. Saari bhindi main eat karlun ga, aur Kukki sirf weak and small reh jaye gi." He brought a spoon more towards his plate but Kukki grabbed his hand and fought for Rishabh to put some on her plate.

"Accha? Chalo, let's see who finishes first!" Rishabh began eating.

Veena was watching everything, and it touched her heart how caring Rishabh was being.

Kukki pulled on Prerna's arm to feed her, but she didn't enjoy the first bite. "Hmm," Prerna wondered. "Pata hai, mujhe bhi bhindi nahi pasand thi bachpan mein. Lekin mere papa ki eik trick thi! Dikhaun?" She took a big piece of roti and hid a little bit of bhindi in the bite, and fed it to Kukki. "Dekha! Pata bhi nahi chala." She alternated by feeding a bite of the house dish and then the bhindi so Kukki could enjoy her meal.

"Good girl," Prerna remarked when lunch was over. "Abh Kukki meri help kare to clean the table? Phir hum koi sweet khate hain. Thik hai?"

Kukki tilted her head to the side in agreement and helped carry some dishes to the kitchen, leaving Rishabh and Veena alone at the table.

"Agar aap itne acche hain, toh Prerna ke saath zabardasti kyun?" Veena asked, not looking him in the eye.

"Kyunki aap ki beti se accha koi meri beti ke liye nahi hai."