5

~Two Months Ago~

The sun drenched bleachers were hot to the touch, and I had just lost my only reason to stay at this football game--Mori had already gone home. 

I'd only come because she had asked and I was terrified of falling into shaky ground territory with a tenuous new friend, so of course I'd immediately jumped on her offer of attending the first practice game of the season, and hadn't even protested when she told me she had to leave early per her strict grandparents. 

Pastels and neons splayed across a watercolor sky broken up by a blinding orange sun, and my book became saturated in honeyed beams of light refracting off the metal bleachers beside me. 

A glance at the clock revealed that the game would be coming to a close soon after the sun finished its final waning descent below the horizon line.

The clanging of helmets and stiff plastic padding slamming together on the field below grew distracting enough that I decided to pack up early, but a scuffle on the scrimmage line had me perking up and shielding my sensitive eyes from the blazing ball of fire in the sky to view the action occurring in front of a gasping audience. 

Two players were involved in a heated standoff, both from opposing teams.  The initial school team had split into two for this scrimmage, much like shirts vs. skins, though they were both very much clothed in this situation. 

Spittle was flying, their rage burning hotter than the sunset warm at their backs. 

Helmets thrown off, the shorter of the two was the first to shove, and then the ref was there, backing a hand into the shorter one with the red jersey while the one with the blue jersey only shook his head, dark brown curls flying as he stalked away shaking his head as if disappointed in the other's behavior. 

I had only been at Hartingrove for a week, so names weren't sticking in my brain, but I was positive they were two of the popular guys, the sporty ones who everyone fell all over in the halls and the cafeteria, two places I tried my best to remain invisible, especially considering the last name that was almost infamous in these rich people circles. 

I was just Cami now, no need to announce my last name unless a teacher called out names to check attendance, and if anyone got curious I could always feign indifference.  There were millions of people in the country, and Astor could be a popular surname. 

The crowd around me let out a collective sigh of relief when the tension receded, but my interest was piqued enough to stick around a few minutes longer to watch the next play unfold, see if the two guys actually came to blows in front of the practice field filled with students, teachers and parents.