twenty-seven; plan

Elizabeth saw nothing, heard nothing, smelled nothing. It was as if someone had stolen her five senses, leaving her vacuum.

Time stretched on and Elizabeth got bored. Finally, after an interminable wait, things began to change. She heard a distant wind pick up. Unfelt, but heard. Then a swirling mist of smoke. And then it consumed her; she felt her mind taken by the mist, felt memories flood into his thoughts. Everything else turned into pain.

"Elizabeth."The voice was distant, like an echo in a long tunnel.

"Elizabeth, can you hear me?"She didn't want to answer.

She sensed light on the other side of her eyelids. Elizabeth groaned as she opened her eyes. She saw Thomas and Teresa staring down at her.

"What... Happened?"She spoke, each word ripping her throat as her voice croaked.

"They got Alby, Zart and a few others."Teresa says quietly. Elizabeth got up, wincing slightly. She was stuck in the Slammer with the other two, Chuck, Minho and Newt outside the gate.

"How long have I been out?"She asks slowly.

"Well, two days."Newt replies. Minho looks at Elizabeth with sad eyes. "Elizabeth, while you were out, Gally convinced other Gladers that all of this was all your fault."Minho speaks up, referring to the three of them.

"Yeah, well he isn't wrong."Elizabeth shut her eyes for a moment.

"What do you mean?"Thomas asks.

Her eyelashes fluttered against each other as they open. "It was us. This was our fault. We did this to them. To us."

Teresa shook her head vigorously. "No, that's not possible."

"Yes, it is. Guys, this isn't a prison. It's a test."

"When we were young, they used to give us this puzzles and we had to solve them. Our names aren't even our real names. They're nicknames. Alby for Albert Einstein, Newt for Isaac Newton, Thomas for Thomas Edison. And Me- Elizabeth for Elizabeth Blackwell."She explained.

"Thomas and Teresa designed the maze."Her lips were pursed into a thin line.

Newt eyebrows were furrowed. "And what did you do?"

"I did the worst part."She swallowed thickly. "I created the Grievers."

"Lizzy. Look into my eyes."Newt says as Elizabeth tilted her head up, meeting Newt's brown eyes. "What's done is done. Now we know the truth. But we have to do something about this, because if we don't do anything that means Alby died for nothing. And I can't have that."Newt says, eyes cold.

Elizabeth nodded. "So here's the plan..."

-
okay, i know i said this chapter would be the last. but i changed it last minute. i have this weird thing about myself where i cannot end anything with an odd number. is it just me? i just hate odd numbers. they're... odd. i'd choose even over odd any day.