ONE

"You've lost your mind." I chuckled.

"No! You're perfect!" Peyton yelled, jumping around.

"It's just an advertisement online. A million people will apply. It's senseless." She huffed at me.

"Fine. I'll fill it out for you." She rolled her eyes.

***

And that was how it started. That one stupid conversation with my crazy friend is what led to all this madness. Now I'm dressed exactly as the email instructed, walking to the home of no other than Alexia Ball herself. Thin leggings, with no padding of any sort, flats with no heel of any sort, a plane bra with minimal padding, and a spandex top. I didn't particularly like the outfit, but Peyton assured me that it was only so they could get my exact measurements. This is ridiculous. There is no way I would ever be able to fit in here. I walked up to the door where there was a thin older woman with a clipboard.

"Name?" She spoke kindly with a smile.

"Kiara Athens, ma'am. It's nice to meet you." I smiled back.

"Beautiful name. I'm Sherry. Good luck, dear. Have a seat in C6." She stepped to the side letting me into the large room. It was a living room clearly, but had folding chairs set out in perfect rows, each with a letter-number combo on it. I found my seat and sat, fidgeting with my fingers. There was maybe 20ish women here. I was just on time as it was only about five minutes before the door closed and several women walked in, being led by Miss Ball. The room silenced, watching her as she stepped to the front. She sighed.

"If I point at you, stand." She pointed at 7 women who each got jittery or excited when such occurred. She motioned them to come stand beside her before she continued. "Now, ladies, did you read all of the email that was sent to you with your approval?" They all nodded eagerly, and she locked eyes with one specific blond who was wearing a flowing dress.

"Y-Yes, Miss Ball."

"Then you," she pointed to another "tell me why you are all dressed such as you are because I was very specific about how I wanted you to be dressed." The girl that was pointed at opened and closed her mouth much like a fish.

"I-I um" Miss Ball laughed.

"You're dismissed, ladies. Get out of my house." They all left, some tearing up, others looking livid. "As for the rest of you, I guess we should get started. I was expecting to size 30 of you. It appears that I have maybe half of that. Anyone in a seat numbered one, follow Lia." She instructed each number, to their specific person. "Seat number sixes, you're with me." I took a deep breath, glancing at the other woman in the same row as me.

"Good luck." The woman whispered to me as we followed Miss Ball up the stairs and into a room. Once we got there, she closed the door, looking us up and down and popping her lips.

"You first." She pointed at the other woman who stepped towards her. "Your name?"

"Norah Daisy." Miss Ball scribbled it on a notepad, motioning for me to sit on a small sofa under a window. I was nervous as ever, my heart feeling like it may burst out of my chest. As it is every time I am nervous, my headspace was floating in the back of my mind, but I pushed it away. If I got this job, there would be no more of that. The likelihood was little to none, however. She used a measuring tape on Norah, first her chest, then her waist, and so on for what seemed like a million measurements. She didn't speak a word, writing each one on her pad.

"Thank you, Norah. Please go back to your seat." She opened the door for her, motioning her out, then turned to me. "Your name?"

"Kiara Athens."